Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
VP Whoring
14,930 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Theres a new local dealer here that sells "recycled' bikes. Most are insurance purchases with rebuilt titles.

Been thinking about trading up as they always have bigger ninjas. But what should i look for; are the frames checked, how do i know if they are, how much should it change the price, any troubles with getting a rebuilt title transferred?

gracias

·
Registered
7,375 Posts
Deff look for frame cracks on every inch of the frame.Not sure how much cheaper then a clean title but obviously cheaper.Salvage title tranfers for bikes/cars/trucks all depend on where you live.

·
Registered
6,382 Posts
Theres a new local dealer here that sells "recycled' bikes. Most are insurance purchases with rebuilt titles.

Been thinking about trading up as they always have bigger ninjas. But what should i look for; are the frames checked, how do i know if they are, how much should it change the price, any troubles with getting a rebuilt title transferred?

gracias
Call or visit your local DMV. Ask all the questions you can think of. Get the facts. Now go visit the new dealer and go from there.

·
Registered
478 Posts
I won't buy salvage bikes but only salvage parts because here in Utah a lot of the insurance companies will not insure a re-built or salvage title.

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
Like clark said, your state's dmv or tag office should at least point you in the right direction.

In GA a "rebuilt" title lowers the kbb value by 10%. My first bike was salvaged by the insurance company because it was a theft recovery (after they paid the claim), not wrecked, so I caught a good deal.

Bikes can get totaled (leading to salvage then rebuilt titles) from tip overs! Bikes get totaled, depending on the insurance company, if damages exceed 60% of kbb value + labor @$75/hr (Progressive Insurance). The insurance company always prices OEM parts at MSRP (you need reciepts for aftermarket bits) so bikes can total QUICK if any large hard parts are even scratched from the incident of the claim, but still functional, like rims, forks, mufflers (they say they have to return the bike to pre-claim condition). (Some agents are willing to deal with you and give you a max amount without totaling the bike and the rest is out your pocket)

I digressed from your question but I said all that to say a bike can get totaled without getting totally wadded up in a wreck.

It comes down to if you believe the dealer is being honest about the history of the bike. And in GA rebuilt is a re-instated title that you can operate on the street, no further inspection needed. Check with the state the title is being moved to if it needs to be reinspected. You cannot operate a salvage titled vehicle on the street in GA and only dealers/shops can have salvage vehicles inspected for reinstatement (or you pay a dealer/shop to have it inspected if you fixed it yourself).

·
Registered
796 Posts
Some insurance companies will not insure salvage titled vehicles or bikes. Call your agent and see. I would say it should knock off 30% at least. Remember, you will have to sell it one day as well.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts