Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a brand new engine (still in the crate), and will be paying my local bike shop to replace the old one. The advisor said it's probably between 15-20 billable hours... Does that sound right? Any input would be greatly appreciated 👍

·
Registered
68 Posts
I swapped a ‘08 Zx6 engine for a guy in about 7 hours with no one helping me and that was the first time I did it. I definitely wouldn’t pay them 2k (assuming $100/hr for 20hrs). Sounds like they’re overpricing it hoping to not take the business or overpricing it hoping you’ll pay and it’ll only take them 5-6.

Just my opinion.

Later, Doug

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I swapped a ‘08 Zx6 engine for a guy in about 7 hours with no one helping me and that was the first time I did it. I definitely wouldn’t pay them 2k (assuming $100/hr for 20hrs). Sounds like they’re overpricing it hoping to not take the business or overpricing it hoping you’ll pay and it’ll only take them 5-6.

Just my opinion.

Later, Doug
Good advice, thanks

·
Registered
363 Posts
Take the front and side fairings off first, it will save a lot of time in the shop. Not that there hard to take off but can be a pain to refit sometimes.
Why do you need an engine swap, as they're good for a shit load of miles?

·
Registered
122 Posts
I have a brand new engine (still in the crate), and will be paying my local bike shop to replace the old one. The advisor said it's probably between 15-20 billable hours... Does that sound right? Any input would be greatly appreciated 👍
Hello there. I've done a remove and reinstall a ZR1100 engine. Have removed and reinstalled a few car engines/ transmissions and done two car restorations. I own two ZX9R bikes as well. Based on time to remove the Airbox and intake snorkels, pvc hose, fuel delivery items, linked carburetors, drive gear, chain, slave cylinder, starter, alternator, headers, exhaust, and the cooling system, and other items, then reinstalling all of it and then tuning the carbs on the new engine ( should mostly be balancing the vacuum between carbs), yes, I feel 15 to 20 hours is a reasonable estimate. Installing a new motor requires careful break in of the cam and solid lifters, which will take overall an hour of tech time. Anyone who thinks that would take 4-5 hours is completely delusional.

Reactions: Eds1stZX1100
1 - 6 of 6 Posts