Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering what is the average amount of time to keep a learner motorcycle? I still have a lot to learn but I have already started to want just a little more power at times, even though I know I should keep riding my bike for a little bit longer.

I have a 1999 Kawasaki 500, just bought it about a month ago, and have put only 1000 miles on it so far. Right now, the plan is to keep riding it for another 6 months to a year before I get something I really want.

So for those riders out there who have ridden for a long time and started on a smaller motorcycle...how long did you stay on it before moving on up?

By the way, I really like this forum. I have been lurking the last couple weeks and have seen a lot of good stuff on here.

·
Registered
196 Posts
I rode my 92 EX500 for 5 years.

I guess if you are able to afford to move up, do it but, the 500 is a realy good bike. you realy can do alot more to improve your skills on it than you think. you couldn't have learned everything you need to know already. I still learn and improve even after close to 20 years on a bike.

·
Registered
990 Posts
The 500 is a geat bike. I got mine from new 3 years ago, after a 13 year break from bikes. It has been an ideal tool to learn about bikes again but above all it has been loads of fun :grin I have ridden what were the biggest & fastest bikes when I was younger but never felt the 500 was a backward step. As well as easing me back into things the 500 was gotten for a 70 mile round trip commuting to work, for which it was ideal. I only got the 1100 as well because the 500 was not suitable two up for my wife as pillion.

The thing to do is to try to test as many bikes as possible to decide which direction you want to take with your next bike. Without experience just plumping for a 'wrong' bike may be an expensive mistake, especially as there are so many different models to choose from, so bide your time but in the meantime enjoy the 500 & learn from it.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts