Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Heard in a write up that you feel a lot of heat coming from engine while moving. My FJR is a heat machine. How is the heat on the ZX14?? I'm just about ready to sell the FJR and get the ZX14.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I ride on Cali's central coast were the temp is cooler. I hardly notice the heat. I warms up in traffic, but what machine doesn't.

·
Registered
59 Posts
well I am a first time bike rider and owner of a new ZX14 and I must say, when the sun was out and it was not to hot outside (like 80), when at a full stop, the heat did rise up and make me start to think of potential heated horror stories. The temp gauge did rise, but over all that was it. Semi hot air was vented by my legs and up over the gas tank at times. But that was it. When it was driving it in temps of (70) and rain clouds around, the heat on my legs felt great but then again wearing shorts and a tank top, the heat was very welcome. I PRAY that in the peak temps she will see in Sumer (110) or so will not cause her to over heat...I pray for this at least...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
There are 2 things that concern me. The bike overheating, and the heat on me. I currently have an FJR. The bike in 100+ temps puts out a lot of heat around the thighs and groin. I have sealed and insulated things but its still present. Not enough to make me miserable, but I wish it wasn't there. The other issue is this hot temp guage buisness. My bike has never over heated. The fan comes on and cools it right down. This is even in 100+ temps and in dead stop traffic. I live in the Central valeey in California, and it is above 95 all summer. Most of my riding is commuting, so a bike that may overheat in slow traffic wont do.

·
Registered
498 Posts
As for mine, the bugger heats up pretty quickly. When stationary, it goes up to fifth bar and thats it. Once moving, it goes down back to third bar. I'm currently waiting for replacement fan from Muzzy. They claim 30% more heat dispersal compared to the stock ones. You could also change your cooling system using 'water wetter', it is renowned to better dissipate heat better than conventional coolants.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I also had an FJR (here in south Texas) where it also gets hot! The heat was always an issue wearing shorts but only if I let the gas tank get low... the ZX 14 has not rally gotten that hot in the gas tank area but it does put out some heat.. Take any big 4 cyl engine and encase it in plastic and you are going to have heat..It has to go somewhere..around the lower legs is not so bad.. aroung the crotch is BAD! so far no problems...<M>

·
Registered
11 Posts
Scavenger...I have a 2007 model and was looking at the fan blade on mine the other day( i made a radiator screen out of expanded aluminum) and could not see any difference form it and the pictures of the Muzzy unit.. maybe Kawasaki changed the fan on the 07"s.. Mine get to the top bar and then the fan comes on and it goes back down also. Most all 4 cyl bikes encased in plastic run hot..Just pray the fan will always come on..sitting in traffic is always an aggravating and hot situation...<M>

·
Registered
266 Posts
Heard in a write up that you feel a lot of heat coming from engine while moving. My FJR is a heat machine. How is the heat on the ZX14?? I'm just about ready to sell the FJR and get the ZX14.
If you mean how is the engine heat and it's effect on the rider, I have ZERO problem with that. I have not noticed radiated engine heat on me in either leather pants or kevlar lined jeans and have more than 4,000 miles on it since November.

Now, if you are talking about the engine itself and it's heating issues, here is the link to the discussion on this board about that issue.

Scavenger...I have a 2007 model and was looking at the fan blade on mine the other day( i made a radiator screen out of expanded aluminum) and could not see any difference form it and the pictures of the Muzzy unit.. maybe Kawasaki changed the fan on the 07"s.. Mine get to the top bar and then the fan comes on and it goes back down also. Most all 4 cyl bikes encased in plastic run hot..Just pray the fan will always come on..sitting in traffic is always an aggravating and hot situation...<M>
There is quite a bit of size difference between the stock and the Muzzy; I too have an '07 and have switched over to the Muzzy already.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I bought my ZX14 about 3.5 - 4 weeks ago and the DC traffic got me when it only got to 70. The stop and go traffic had me maxed out. I turned my motorcycle off between lights in hopes that i would be ok. When I went to start it back up...I got clicking! I had to walk my bike to a Mickey D's parking lot to allow it to cool. It took about 1/2 hr to 45 min to start again. So much for following the rules of the road. I had to revert back to my Cali days and white lined all the way back to Baltimore, Maryland where I live. It really sucked. The drivers in DC and Maryland aren't as understanding as Cali drivers are. I'm sure I pissed a few people off, but I had to do what I had to do.

After reading comments in this forum I've also ordered my fan from Muzzy as well as a bottle of waterweter. I'll keep you all posted as to how it does the next time I decide to brave the DC/B'More traffic!

·
Registered
498 Posts
I installed my long awaited muzzy fan & water watter. Noticed improvement right away. Max bars now at a constant 4 of 6 bars max.

·
Registered
11 Posts
What is the process for replacing stock fan with Muzzy fan? Does it involve removing the radiator or possibly exhaust headers as Muzzy mentions in their site?

When the new bike arrives, I have a few additions planned already, wondering if Muzzy fan and water wetter is part of early changes.

Also, what ratios of water, water-wetter and glycol is everyone using for summer riding?

Thanks for the inputs gang, if am sure there will be more as I learn more.

Mark

·
Registered
11 Posts
I sold my 2005 FJR and bought a 2007 Blue ZX14 and I love it.. It also puts out heat Just in a different place.. Mostly on the calves and left ankle.. No biggie if you are used to the FJR...I live I Corpus Christi Tx.(on the coast) and in the summer time it is either Hot and Humid or just plain HOT HOT HOT ...<M>

·
Registered
498 Posts
Hey scavenger_9

Where did you buy your muzzy fan? In KL? How much it cost you?

Cheers
Hey there friend...

i ordered the fan online directly from muzzy. all together if i'm not mistaken was RM300 (1usd=rm3.60)

as for the water wetter, call CyberTech in Puchong, Selangor, Malaysia, 603 5882 1841.

As for the fan fitment process, from my experience, you have to take the whole radiator out. It's impossible to install without doing so. I didn't take out the headers as what was recommended by muzzy as i was being very careful not to mention my hands were small....

Above all, please get yourself the service manual before doing so. Better safe than sorry. It took me around 4 hrs to completely finish installing.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Thanks for the information Scavenger9, Will check out the water wetter in puchong. I travel alot into KL town centre so any help to reduce the heat will be good.

cheers

·
Registered
2 Posts
I've had the bike for less than a week, and it does give off a lot of heat. The salesman told me before I took the bike home that it has been an issue, but that it goes away over time.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts