Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ya know I hear time and time again, from service mechanics to gearheads, that the normal wear and tear on a chain is every 10k miles. On my ZX-12R, I got 30k miles out of my chain and even the dealer told me the chain was still within spec and looked fine, but I opted to change it to be on the safe side of things.

What cause the links to bind up, not allowing them to move freely anymore? Is it the lack of internal lube or the buildup of dirt?

What is up with the "nothing gets past the O-ring" myth I keep hearing? If a thin feeler guage can be shoved past the O-ring, what does that tell you? What is stopping the chain cleaners and lubricants to go past the O-ring causing dillution of the internal grease, causing it to go away over time?

·
Registered
990 Posts
I've been doing a lot of plumbing lately & using push-on fittings which have a rubber 'O' ring to seal on to the pipe. I have been amazed how something this simple can be so effective at sealing the pipe, even if the pipe does not look in very good condition. IMO the push fitting work better than compression fittings on any given pipe.

End of the day I think it is down to the flexibility of the material in the 'O' ring that is the secret, because it is so flexible you can insert a feeler, the rubber deforms but goes back to fill the gap afterwards. It appears to me that this gap filling flexibility is what stops the cleaners & lubes getting past the seal.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Chains go bad, by hanging out with the wrong crowd. It starts with wanting to be 'cool' and hangin with the wrong chain lube bunch....

1 - 4 of 4 Posts