Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to change my oil and I can't get the fairing loose at the top portion above the signal light. :banghead

Also according to the service schedule in the owners manual you really only need to change the oil, lube the chain and check everything out. Why pay the stealer $125 to do this? :headscratch

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
why do u need to take it off? Most kawi's u can drain the oil and try to loosen the filter behind the headers with a clamp. Atleast it works for my zx 10r. The oil drain plug is on the bottom. Its easy. Good luck

·
Registered
80 Posts
dealers also have an entire list of things they do, which all tend to need tightening or adjusting after 600 miles... and if you dont do it, and do it yourself... say goodbye to warranty:thumbup

·
Registered
165 Posts
yea dude wht madmax said
u dont need 2 take off the fairin to giv it an oil change
the drain plug is on the bottom with easy access
unless the 07 was changed :|

·
Registered
27 Posts
changing the oil filter on the 07 doesn't requiers you to open the fairing too. maybe the screw are too tight, mine are like that for the first time. remove the cowling first, the back which closer to the tank are by screws and the front are just clip. u should able to take out the fairing then.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
It is a 2007 ZX6R.

I am trying to get the part that covers the oil filter off. I guess I should have called it the left side cowling.

I've got all the screws out already and 2 push type connectors also. I've got it all loose except right above the turn signal there are some push type connectors under the front below the headlight. I can't tell if those are holding it. The push connectors with the big flat head on them are no problem, the ones I am looking at are the pin type that look like a rivet. :evil

This is to change the filter and also just to see what makes it tick under there. :squint I'd like to possibly add some steel braiding to some of the hoses to make it look sweet! :crazyloco

Anyway, I don't have any problem doing my own work, I just don't want to accidently break something on a brand new bike. :banghead

·
Registered
234 Posts
It is a 2007 ZX6R.

I am trying to get the part that covers the oil filter off. I guess I should have called it the left side cowling.

I've got all the screws out already and 2 push type connectors also. I've got it all loose except right above the turn signal there are some push type connectors under the front below the headlight. I can't tell if those are holding it. The push connectors with the big flat head on them are no problem, the ones I am looking at are the pin type that look like a rivet. :evil

This is to change the filter and also just to see what makes it tick under there. :squint I'd like to possibly add some steel braiding to some of the hoses to make it look sweet! :crazyloco

Anyway, I don't have any problem doing my own work, I just don't want to accidently break something on a brand new bike. :banghead
You need to take out all the little plastic rivets that hold the black inner fairing pieces to the fender by the wheel. Those do hold on. There are also several screws into the black inner fairing into the colored fairing.

It's easiest if you take the lower off first otherwise you have to bend stuff.

However you do NOT need to take the fairing off to change the oil. If I could do it without taking the fairing off, anyone can. All you need is a pair of oil filter pliers to tear that mother out of there. You can fit the filter through the opening in the fairing. All I did was loosen the bolt (think it was 8mm) holding the speed sensor wire so I could push the wire out of the way.

·
Registered
92 Posts
dealers also have an entire list of things they do, which all tend to need tightening or adjusting after 600 miles... and if you dont do it, and do it yourself... say goodbye to warranty:thumbup

*cough* BULLLSHIT *cough*

·
Registered
75 Posts
yeah im pretty sure the warranty says nothing about getting it serviced:mfclap

taking the fairings off is a bitch and im almost positive hercules himself put that oilfilter on...ridiculous

·
Registered
144 Posts
yeah, the pins he is referring to the little black push ones. here's a little trick for you. Take something with a point on it, and push the center of that little push pin. Push it inwards, the center will go in and out comes the pin.

but again, you DO NOT need to take off the fairing for an oil change. get an oil fitler wrench and call it a day.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well, I got the fairing off. Thanks for everyones advice on the little push pins. That is what was holding it.

I warmed the bike up and drained the oil. I had it on a swingarm stand. When I took the oil filter off there was a lot of friggin oil that spilled out. I had a shop rag stuffed under it and it soaked it. I tried cutting a 20 oz. pop bottle to slip under it but it was running back towards the engine. :banghead

It seems like it would be better to change the oil with the bike on the side stand. :headscratch

The oil and filter sure had a lot of tiny metal in it. I was surprised but nothing I wouldn't have expected from the first oil change. :squint

Well, new oil, new filter, Chain cleaned and lubed. We are back in business! :crazyloco

1 - 14 of 14 Posts