Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, this is my first post. Also this is my first bike so please forgive me for the silly questions.
I have a 2003 ZX9R. Bought it a month or so ago as my first bike (OK I know) but I have been taken things really slow and just ridding around the roads around my house....anyway I was really starting to get the ridding thing under control when my bike started getting hard to crank. Then it stoped. I think I may have flooded it. Then I tried to crank it so many times that I ran the battery down. I charged the battery up last night and tried again this morning. It sounded like it was going to crank (fired a few times) but I wasnt able to get it. I think I may have fouled the plugs and since I dont know when the last time the bike had a tune up was I figured I would go ahead and replace them. Which leads me to my quesiton. How to you replace the plugs? I have always done this myself on my cars/trucks, but on this bike I cant even find them. Like I said, sorry for the silly quesiton, but where are the plugs (ie what do I have to take off to get to them)
Thanks

·
Registered
53 Posts
Hey Kenny. Welcome to the site!

I dunno about the 2003 bike, but generally you'll need to remove:
-- the seat(s)
-- the tank, which means disconnecting the fuel tap
-- the airbox
-- air intake tubes

Then you should be at the top of the motor. The plugs are likely there, beneath the coil leads. Pull them off and you're at the plugs.

Best thing is to get a Haynes manual for your specific model.

On the bike not starting... sounds to me you're on the right track. I'm thinking these bikes need to be revved a little bit. If you're just pootling around the neighborhood, it might not 'clean' the plugs and they might be fouled.

Good luck!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, thats pretty much what I thought but its always nice to get a second opnion before ripping stuff off :) I have been looking for a Hynes manual but havent been able to find one around town. I guess I will have to order it off of Amazon and just wait for it to be shipped to me. Thanks again for you help.

·
Registered
53 Posts
keep us posted on how you get on. If you don't get anywhere, PM me and we'll see what we can do.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the support. Just a quick update I tried to crank the bike again today just for the heck of it. Well it sounds like it wants to start but then it backfires. It did that several times....dont know if that means anything or not.
I ordered a Haynes manual off of Amazon Wednesday and paid for expitied shipping so I hope to have soon and make this my weekend project. I will keep ya posted :)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
OK, The bike is fixed! I am so happy to be ridding again :)
It wasnt too hard to change the spark plugs but you will feel like you are taking about half of your bike off LOL. I followed the steps in the Haynes book but I do have one word of advice for those that follow after me, I found it easier to remove the #1 & #4 plug my removing the fairings and disconecting the air tubes. You wont be able to remove the tubes this way but I was able to push them out of the way enough to make accessing the spark plugs MUCH easier.

Here is the bike after I removed the tank and air filter housing

I decieded to place two rubber gloves over the carb to make sure noting feel in by mistake

See how the air tubes get in the way of the #1 & #4 plugs

If you remove the upper fairings from both sides you can disconect the tubs and have just enough room to get at the plugs :)

Hope this will help others.
- Kenny

·
Registered
13 Posts
Nice , thanks

1 - 7 of 7 Posts