Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
when you still ride after 600mi without oil change? i have gone over that cus i couldn't stop myself from riding yesterday, and now it has 740ish. and i am trying to not go anywhere today so that i will not ride.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Honestly you should change your oil after the first 150 miles. It's amazing how much metal shavings are in your oil after the first 100 miles. I would seriously recommend not riding any more until you got your initial service done.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
well i am planning on changing my own oil with my friend, who's also another experienced rider. but does anyone have any tips for me before anything?

·
Registered
21 Posts
i have a 06 636 and i rode until 800 mi then changed my oil myself it is not that hard the oil filter is in the front by the headers and of course there is a drain plug under the bike. really all a first service is, is tightening the chain and lubing it changing the oil and making sure everything is tight on the bike oh and you need that for the motor warenty but if u have a good friend and a local motorsports shop you can have them just write one up. i got my oil from the local powersports shop and the filter it was $35 i run 10w-40 synthetic blend i am up to 3,950 now and this is the second time i changed my oil and i have been doing everything else myself like tightening the chain and what not its pretty simple.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
so now i've reached 903...still no oil change...not even one yet. but i have never smashed it. i just stay below 8k rpm. should i be fine? planning on changing the oil this weekend.

·
Registered
144 Posts
It takes 15 minutes. Do it because every mile you keep putting on that bike with all that metal shavings in the oil is very bad. Those shavings will desposit themselves in other parts of the engine and start fucking up your engine quicker than normal wear.

Don't wait until this weekend. Do it now instead of reading this post.

·
Registered
191 Posts
It takes 15 minutes. Do it because every mile you keep putting on that bike with all that metal shavings in the oil is very bad. Those shavings will desposit themselves in other parts of the engine and start fucking up your engine quicker than normal wear.

Don't wait until this weekend. Do it now instead of reading this post.
lmao @ "do it now instead...." But is that why there are so many recommended oil changes during the break-in period? because of all the shavings??

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
k just changed my oil today. good thing class ended early and stopped raining during the middle of the day. i was actually trying to put on the frame sliders but still couldn't get the bolts to come off, so while doing that i changed my oil. the filter is such a bitch to get off.
how did you guys get the filter off? my friend had to use this tool that's meant to take off filters but not to put on. and he ended up chipping the plastic guard. also putting it back on was a pain in the ass too!

but now with the new oil. the bike feels smoother and quicker. can you actually tell the difference or it's just my concious?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts