Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well maybe its cause i never encountered one, or im just still in shock of how fast i feel my zx10R is to me. But i was on www.streetfire.net and i typed in the search ZX10R and got several videos and in some the cars were beating the 10's. Im in shock and didnt think this was possible. have any of you ever raced a fast car that beat you?

·
Registered
80 Posts
i never have personally. there is a vid out there (i'm sure most have seen it) of a first gen 10 walking on a 750 hp corvette. pretty impressive. 10k for a 10 or 30-40k for a car that is almost as fast. pretty simple decision for me!

·
Registered
462 Posts
not to be an ass, but i got to defend the 10's honor. that vette was actually more like 50-60k stock, and wouldn't run near a 10r, but then the guy "souped" it up adding at least another 30-70k depending on who he knows, and the car still gets beat by the 10.

·
Registered
57 Posts
i raced a mazda 808 with 20b turbo rotary in it. it had some serious dollars spent on the motor and a turbo that would suck small children of the sidewalk and it still couldn't beat me from the lights or a rolling start. but it came close :rotflmao

·
Registered
532 Posts
My son on his ZX10R had a scrap with one of the new Porche 911 Turbo's and I was witnessing this, and I tell you from the line up to about 200km/h it was neck 'n neck!!! Couldn't believe it myself!!!!!!! They had to tap off after that, so don't know what would happen further up!!

Heard a story of someone on a ZX10 that got a big surprise from a Chev Lumina UTE pickup (the ones built in Australia) that was obviously worked on quite a bit.

There are some seriously fast "Tin-Tops" out there!!

I myself got thrashed on the ZX6R by a Turbo M3!!

·
Registered
462 Posts
It all rider skill, not to insult anyone, but I saw a slighly modded 04' 10R run a goddamn honest to god 10.02 at 154. No car can come close to that and still appear under a street legal guise, MANY other factors go into account besides rider skill but nothing contributes to the speed of a bike a strongly as that. Can I run a 10.02? Hell no, just sayin' though.

·
Registered
60 Posts
A couple off months agow i had came across a austin martin vaquish ,
he passed me on the highway so ,thats a challenge i think,when he pushed his peddle it just took off so quickly i did not have the time to put myself in the right gear. and not easy to catch it after that. But if you start on a trafficlight or from 0,i dont think any car will smoke a ZX10R because fisrt gear runs to 150km/u .

·
Registered
57 Posts
Perhaps the best bit to consider is the bike's ability to pass easily on double yellows. With a car it's easy to get stuck behind some slow poke and never have a chance to get around them. Get a Porsche or Vette on a nice twisty road and you can see the frustration level climb as the driver's posture changes and then, changes again. With the volume of traffic on the roads today, this will happen in a car all the time. On the bike you just go around the rolling roadblock and continue to enjoy the bike, the road and the day.

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Alright... here goes. Anyone who thinks that our bikes are the fastest things out there needs to do some more research.

True: Power to weight, they are amazing
True: For the money, you aren't going to find better speed
False: We're invincible in a race

Just this past weekend I was out with some friends. I ride an '06 10R, my buddies are on an '04 R1, and an '06 KTM950 Supermoto.

We were heading up a back highway, when off in the distance I could see a muscle car kicking it up the highway. It caught my attention right away because it was lime green. I sped up to see what it was.

It was a '70 Camaro, done to the 9's. Chute pack, tubbed, Mickey T's (and I mean wide ass tires), fuel shut off ... you get the picture. At the traffic light in a small town we were behind him... KTM guy pulls up beside him and eyes the car... done, 5 point harnesses, roll cage, and a big ass trophy in the passenger seat as he was obviously coming from a show, or drags, or both.

when the light turned green, he got into it... moderately, so we punched it up a bit. The road was long and straight, with no traffic coming at us for miles... so I pulled up beside him, in 2nd gear, approx 120 kmh (72mph). He looked at me and smiled... I knew we were going.

We both hit it, I grabbed 3rd, and rode to shift light, 4th, 5th... finally decided it was time to shut it down at 260kmh (156mph)...when I did, I looked in my mirror and I saw an R1... and nothing but the Grille of the Camaro.

Holy Shit this car was fast.

The guy on the KTM didn't even bother, he stayed back to watch the fun, but kept a close watch.

The guy in the Camaro turned off at the next town with a wave... when I asked the guy on the KTM what he saw, and how much of a jump I had on the car, he just shook his head and said "he was not letting you get away... he was having none of that!!"

Granted this guy probably has $100k+ into his car and motor, and that little race probably cost him $30-40 in racing fuel, compared to $14k for the bike and $1.50 in fuel.... but it was definitely the fastest car I've been up against.

(still shaking my head) :rotflmao

·
Registered
80 Posts
Good story Swoosh. I had a similar situation that I am not going to get into just because I don't wanna type all that mess!! I think it's funny when you get some jackass in TRAFFIC revving and wanting to race. That always makes me laugh and shake my head.

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
There are way faster cars out there, i mean our bikes are fast, but my brothers 06 mitsu evo almost kept up with me till 2nd gear and 120mph. His car is fast 600 awhp, after that it was all 10r. Its pretty good for a 12k bike as compared to a 36k evo mr, with 12k in motor work. On the other hand i got spanked by a 911 turbo on the palasaides parkway

·
Registered
526 Posts
u kno, like every1 is saying, if you think about it, think about how much money these guys are putting into their cars, its ridiculous. shelling out atleast $50k if not more jus to go the same, maybe a tad bit faster than a stock 10r. i bet if we put atleast that much money into our bikes as they do our cars, well be kickin some serious ass... like that nitrous system from dynojet for only like $200 or so bucks. it can add atleast 40hp to ur bike.

·
Registered
532 Posts
u kno, like every1 is saying, if you think about it, think about how much money these guys are putting into their cars, its ridiculous. shelling out atleast $50k if not more jus to go the same, maybe a tad bit faster than a stock 10r. i bet if we put atleast that much money into our bikes as they do our cars, well be kickin some serious ass... like that nitrous system from dynojet for only like $200 or so bucks. it can add atleast 40hp to ur bike.
Yes I think we all agree that we can make our bikes faster than most cars for much less than what they spend, but the original thread just stated that there are very fast cars out there, doesn't matter what they spent on it.

Yes, there are faster cars out there than stock bikes!!!!!!!

·
Registered
462 Posts
Ok, this conversation has so far been "in the box", but why not step outside, imagine that you spent 100,000 on a bike. How fast could you go? It wouldn't get you a Y2K but it could get you a set of godly bikes.Getting a Muzzy turbo setup on a 14R would beat all the cars. End of. I gues this is a post in the 10 section though so... get a turbo for a 10! Problem solved!

Where I live there is a place called "The Duels" which is exactly that, a a slightly downhill dual wide road with a pair of signals, very little police attention and that goes for about a mile straight then hits some hills (initially and uphill one!) and I, on my 1997 ZX-9R, have only been beaten once. My friend (2002 ZX-6R) and I used to have days where we'd pick a car and follow it to see if the driver wanted to race. More often then not we'd be turned off, but sometimes, the car (and truck?) people who didn't know what a bike could do would accept. We've raced all forms of "muscle" and "tuner" cars (nothing too spectacular) and always came away victorious (me more often than my 600cc friend, I've replaced 2 clutch packs). The one time I lost a real race was to this amazing black Corvette that a local shop owner built, it was a C5, all black, and looked completely stock except for some black wheels and being dropped a couple of inches. I can remember that race because I was actually a little intimidated (i love vettes') but we still went for fun. The usual steps, pull the car over, ask them if it's fast and if they want to prove it, to the duels, burnout, light, go. I'm not going to build it up or make an excuse, I lost bad. He didn't pull on me, he flat stomped me and my bike was strong that day too. But with a 10R (100lbs less and 40+HP added) could I have one? Maybe? I won't know til' I get one, which probably won't be for 5-7 years, next bike in the pipe is on 600 (probably an F4i) which is a little sad, but will hopefully help me develop in the "twisties" which a 97 9R with it's relatively long travel and soft suspension certainly isn't the best at (did you see me just make that excuse!). Hopefully when I get my 10 I'll be able to show up some more cars (and bikes hopefully!), but til' then...

Yes I think we all agree that we can make our bikes faster than most cars for much less than what they spend, but the original thread just stated that there are very fast cars out there, doesn't matter what they spent on it.

Yes, there are faster cars out there than stock bikes!!!!!!!
Yep!

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Im just curious cause i really dont know. My bike was modified to my liking and dyno tuned before i ever piked it up. Bran new that is. It dynoed 180.54 at the wheel. I have no stock referance to go by but is 180 whp noticable more when racing in a straight line vs a stock zx10r? basically what im gettign at is 20 whp on a bike alot?

·
Registered
532 Posts
I can't remember the exact figures, but for a car to increase top speed from 300km/hr to 350 km/hr, it needs almost double the horsepower!!!!!

I would imagine that the same will be true for a motorcycle, as, contrary to what most believe, is not as aerodynamic as a nicely shaped car!! So for an extra 20hp, you will probably only score 10km/hr on top speed, but will do much better at acceleration.

Check out the dragster cars. To better from 8 or 9 sec. on the 1/4 mile to say 5sec., they need like 1500hp more!!!!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts