Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As mentioned in other posts, I finally have the Holeshot's prototype slip on system. Here is my feedback from my 17 mile ride to work this morning.
- Nice throaty sound at idle
- Throaty sound starts to taper off to a nice mellow tone as you get off of idle and into the mid-range.
-From mid-range to redline the sound stays nicely mellow all the way to redline.
-Mild popping on deceleration which is normal when you swap stock to aftermarket, althought the popping is fairly faint.
-Performance -- hold on to the handlebars, the beast within has awaken!..from idle to midrange to redline has pepped up ALOT! Response and power is very very obvious throughout the RPM range. I likey alot!:crazyloco

The prototype can uses a 2" core. A smaller core will tame the throatiness down. I believe he may go with a smaller core and offer a choice in cores.

As for me, I like the sound of the 2", I don't feel it's loud at all. Would be interesting to get a DB reading on it which I know Dale has a DB meter. I would say the prototype is 90db if that.

·
Registered
184 Posts
I wish someone could record and post the tunes sung by this and the others available...

·
Registered
104 Posts
Sounds really promising. Is it a straight forward replacemnt i.e any re-mapping required? Any chance of a before and after dyno reading sometime do you think. Seat of the pants can sometimes be mis-leading. Extra noise can sometimes make it feel faster! Any idea on availbility in the UK? Pictures?

Sorry for so many questions.

·
Registered
40 Posts
If freeing up the exhaust frees up HP, I am thining a second stock can on the L/H side and the exhaust split between the two would keep things quiet and free up the HP.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If freeing up the exhaust frees up HP, I am thining a second stock can on the L/H side and the exhaust split between the two would keep things quiet and free up the HP.
What?...two ugly rocket launchers? and another 20 lbs of weight?....yuck:eek:hno :potty
You know the only reason Kawi went for the 4-2-1 exhaust was to expose the unique teklink driveline.
Actually it would be cool with a dual exhaust setup...it can be done...:smile
It would be interesting to get my hands on a stock 4-2 stock setup from a ZX14..darn, I tossed mine last year.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sounds really promising. Is it a straight forward replacemnt i.e any re-mapping required? Any chance of a before and after dyno reading sometime do you think. Seat of the pants can sometimes be mis-leading. Extra noise can sometimes make it feel faster! Any idea on availbility in the UK? Pictures?
Sorry for so many questions.
No such thing as "no mapping required" on any system. Unleashing the breathing capabilities of any motor will put it into a lean condition, some not as drastic though. Dale Walker I believe will be making a "TFI" box for it. Read about it on his website: http://www.holeshot.com
As for my bike in it's current state, it doesn't seem too bad, very faint decel popping. Dyno runs will be made in a couple of weeks. Dale's taking some time off. My impression of power improvement is not "seat of the pants"...the bike pulls hard where I need to firm up my grip on the handlebars. The front end wants to come up in 1st & 2nd gear on very aggressive acceleration. My guess would be an easy 7-10hp and 3-4 ft lbs of torque.
Dale does ship overseas. Unfortunately I was asked not to post pics of the "unfinished prototype". I wish I could, because I think it's pretty cool the way it is.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I wish someone could record and post the tunes sung by this and the others available...

I'm assuming this is pessimistic sarcasm at it's best?...care to elaborate?:smile :smile ...never mind...move along now, nothing to see here.

·
Registered
41 Posts
The increased performance sounds good but how does the fuel economy suffer as a result? I also agree that any time you change stock to aftermarket when dealing with intake and exhaust, some re-mapping will be required. I changed the air filters on my 12R from stock to K&N and when I installed the 17 tooth countershaft sprocket, I could "feel" the midrange decrease as compared to the 17 tooth and stock air filters. I had no other mods to the bike and no Power Commander or anything like that. A dyno pull confirmed my seat of the pants. Stock filters and 17 tooth yielded 159 at rear wheel and K&N with 17 tooth 152. The dyno operator showed me where my bike was just way lean through out the rev range with the K&N's, so I went back to stock filters with 17 tooth and it runs great! Just me 2 cents and experiences.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I haven't been monitoring "fuel economy", just enjoying the new power. As with any mods, fuel economy will decrease depending on how you ride. Stock motors are built to optimize "fuel economy" and keep the air clean. Somethings gotta give when you alter the "stock" configuration. Re-mapping is the best thing to do in optimizing performance and A/F ratio throughout the range.

The increased performance sounds good but how does the fuel economy suffer as a result? I also agree that any time you change stock to aftermarket when dealing with intake and exhaust, some re-mapping will be required. I changed the air filters on my 12R from stock to K&N and when I installed the 17 tooth countershaft sprocket, I could "feel" the midrange decrease as compared to the 17 tooth and stock air filters. I had no other mods to the bike and no Power Commander or anything like that. A dyno pull confirmed my seat of the pants. Stock filters and 17 tooth yielded 159 at rear wheel and K&N with 17 tooth 152. The dyno operator showed me where my bike was just way lean through out the rev range with the K&N's, so I went back to stock filters with 17 tooth and it runs great! Just me 2 cents and experiences.

·
Registered
261 Posts
GTR....

Does Dale know you're out promoting his new prototype on a bunch of different forums with undocumented and just your "feel" of whats going on so far?

While he's away on Vacation?

Doesn't sound like the Dale I know. Be a good boy and test his prototype, your a lucky guy just for being able to have that oppt.

I know he'll come out with a fine product, he's the best at it.. And those of us who want that product will go buy it... I'm just tired of seein some little wet eared beta tester squawk about it every darn place on the net when I don't know Dale exhonorated it. I'm sure its a great prototype.

Go do your Job

Jerry... now you move along... nothing more to do here..

·
Registered
17 Posts
Why discourage gtr_1965 from making his observations? Everything he's stated is his experience with the exhaust, which I enjoy reading.

Nathan

·
Registered
261 Posts
ya know what Nate... you're right.. he has every right.. I'm just a miserable bastard today and for some reason seeing all these "observations" on a couple forums today while i'm recouperating from surgery just rubbed me the wrong way... maybe its all the morphine and anestesia wearing off.. I apologize GTR.. you go right ahead and make all your observations and comments I'll keep my sick mouth shut..

Jerry

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
I've edited my original post...didn't see Jerry's response.
Sorry Jerry...get well soon and enjoy the Connie.

GTR....

Does Dale know you're out promoting his new prototype on a bunch of different forums with undocumented and just your "feel" of whats going on so far?

While he's away on Vacation?

Doesn't sound like the Dale I know. Be a good boy and test his prototype, your a lucky guy just for being able to have that oppt.

I know he'll come out with a fine product, he's the best at it.. And those of us who want that product will go buy it... I'm just tired of seein some little wet eared beta tester squawk about it every darn place on the net when I don't know Dale exhonorated it. I'm sure its a great prototype.

Go do your Job

Jerry... now you move along... nothing more to do here..

·
Registered
228 Posts
Hi, glad to know there are aftermarket pipes in the mix, and was glad to read your posts, lets take it easy and enjoy the company of like minded individuals and our expensive toys ;)

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
Hi, glad to know there are aftermarket pipes in the mix, and was glad to read your posts, however taking a pop at Jerry for his post when he has already appologised is a bit pointless and will lead to nothing but bad feelings, lets take it easy and enjoy the company of like minded individuals and our expensive toys ;)

Two Brothers already has one out and Muzzy is just a few weeks away. I never liked any of the 2 bros stuff, just doesn't appeal to me. I will have the stock muffler modded (reduce the length by half and re-cored). I like the "stock" look on a bike like the Connie.
I've concluded I like Jerry, I'm sure he's an alright guy. :smile

1 - 18 of 18 Posts