Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an '01 ZX6R with about 5K miles on it. Sometimes when I'm gettin' on it and shift into 2nd gear I'll hit neutral. It never happens if i shift at low rpm's 4-5k. Could this be an adjustment I can make in the shifter???

·
Registered
368 Posts
That happened to me last year on the track. (very embarrassing) I made a simple adjustment to my left side boot which solved the problem... I just needed a heavier toe. :crazyloco

·
Registered
649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yeah, I have the problem when i'm wearing regular shoes. I'm looking for a pair of comfey boots to wear on the street so i don't feel like i'm breaking my ankle to shift up!!!:dunno

·
Registered
368 Posts
My main problem is that I normally commute to/from work wearing work boots, sometimes steel toe boots. When I get to track-day wearing racing boots, the "feel" is different and I've missed a gear a time or two. It usually takes a few laps to regain the "feel". In response to your original question, I'm not aware of an adjustment other than the physical position of the gear shift which I move forward and down as far as possible to set it at an optimum angle for my riding position when racing.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I was having that problem on my 10 and then realized the relative shift lever angle was much higher than my other bike. I was having to strain my leg/foot up to get ensure a positive shift into the next gear.

After rotating the adjustable shift linkage 5 complete turns from the stock setting (which lowered the lever end) bingo, no more missed shifts.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Try adjusting the height of the shift lever by adjusting the linkage. It happened to me downshifting on the track......Not having engine breaking when you're expecting it can make you go into a corner real hot!!!

·
Registered
41 Posts
My bike had been like that since I bought it, constantly slipping from 2nd gear back into neutral. It got so bad that it wouldn't go into 2nd at all. Turns out 2nd gear was missing a chunk internally. Changed out the gears, kind of expensive, but haven't had it happen to me since.

·
Registered
6 Posts
if its still happening you might have a bent shifting fork! If so it will keep getting worse till eventually you wont have second gear. to fix you have to drop the motor split the cases and replace forks and damaged tranny gears and gear dog etc.

·
Registered
63 Posts
You'll get smoother shifts and help your transmission last longer if you pre-load the shift lever prior to your shifts. That means lift up on the lever prior to squeezing the clutch lever in or rolling off the throttle. Then, continue lifting up on the lever throughout the shifting process until you've completely eased the clutch lever out and gotten back on the throttle.

·
Registered
649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It's all good, a slight angle adjustment made all the difference. My bike shifts great!!!!!!!! THANX

·
Registered
21 Posts
Pre-load your gears when your giving your bike a Hiding.I find Kwacka's especialy appreciate it as the gears sometimes seem a little further apart than some other makes of bike. This will just about ensure that you'll never miss a gear.
Who uses the clutch round here??

1 - 12 of 12 Posts