Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Trackday #1 of the season and I almost let her buck me... too much pressure in them tires... I checked after that session and the pressure had creeped up to 40psi!!!!! Way too high!!!

·
Premium Member
11,231 Posts
Looks like more of a lowside save, or less of a save and more of just the rear stepping out a bit, which I have done more than once myself on slick roads.

I suppose if it would have caught or been overcorrected... but more importantly, that is way too close to the start of the video. Youtube doesn't always show the first couple seconds of a video. I watched it three times looking for it before I noticed the video was starting at almost 2 seconds.

·
Registered
1,465 Posts
It caught and regained traction quickly, so it would have been a high side. But I do agree, nothing more than the rear just stepping out a little. I've done that from time to time, but it's always cooler to catch it on video.
-Cody

·
Premium Member
11,231 Posts
And always good for a underwear check afterwards too.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Was this on sat-24th at hallet? If it was you I witnessed that and was thinking you made a good save there....
No, this was yesterday at Hallett sun-25th... but thanks for the possible compliment :evil

·
Registered
478 Posts
high side save

I would have to ask you a couple of questions
1. What tires are you running?
2. are you using tire warmers?
3. Are you using racing tires?

DOT street tires will not ever reach the correct temperature for racing properly. They may be ok for a track-day but.... I myself would not ever do it again. I have seen to many people crash due to tires being the wrong application. And tire heat is a huge deal!!!!

·
Premium Member
15,095 Posts
How is racing on Hallet on a bike? I don't like how rough the track is to trust it enough to take a bike on it. I've raced my ATV on it before but ATV's are designed for rough stuff.

And I used to do stuff like that on my ZX6 on the streets all the time. That's one of the main reasons I had to get rid of it. I was getting too brave.

·
Premium Member
4,271 Posts
bet you were:scared

·
Registered
1,465 Posts
How is racing on Hallet on a bike? I don't like how rough the track is to trust it enough to take a bike on it. I've raced my ATV on it before but ATV's are designed for rough stuff.

And I used to do stuff like that on my ZX6 on the streets all the time. That's one of the main reasons I had to get rid of it. I was getting too brave.
Hallet is like butter compared to most of the Texas tracks. You get used to it.

DOT street tires will not ever reach the correct temperature for racing properly. They may be ok for a track-day but.... I myself would not ever do it again. I have seen to many people crash due to tires being the wrong application.
Whoa...

I've seen to many people that crash due to rider error and blaming it on the tires. Good DOT tires will get you around a track very quickly.

And what you're saying about temperature is completely untrue. If you can't keep heat in a street tire, you will NEVER keep heat in a race tire. The problem with street tires is not that they don't get up to heat, it's that they can get TOO hot. And when they get too hot, they get really slippery.
-Cody

·
Premium Member
15,095 Posts
Hallet is like butter compared to most of the Texas tracks. You get used to it.

And what you're saying about temperature is completely untrue. If you can't keep heat in a street tire, you will NEVER keep heat in a race tire. The problem with street tires is not that they don't get up to heat, it's that they can get TOO hot. And when they get too hot, they get really slippery.
-Cody
Hmm.... I guess I'll just have to try it one day and see. lol

And true. Get them too hot and the oils start coming out of them.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

Hallett actually isn't bad at all for a bike. There are a couple patched spots that you learn to avoid, but besides that, most of the choppy stuff is outside of the racing line.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

DOT street tires will not ever reach the correct temperature for racing properly. They may be ok for a track-day but.... I myself would not ever do it again. I have seen to many people crash due to tires being the wrong application. And tire heat is a huge deal!!!!
1. If you saw my signature, you would know that I was running Power Ones...
2. No, i was not using tire warmers. If you read what I wrote above the video, you would know my tires were already warm because of the HIGH PSI of the air inside them. When tires move around and get warm, the air inside them gets warmer and expands, thus increasing the internal PSI of the tire. i started the day at 31PSI and after this session they were at 40 PSI... you tell me if the tires were warm of not.
3. Power Ones are a dual purpose tire. They are made for the aggressive rider that needs a sticker compound on the outside i.e. when turning at high speeds and often i.e. while racing.

Like the other guy said... it's not always that fault of the equipment so much as the error coming from the person in the saddle. But in this case, I made the mistake of not checking my tire pressure... my fault.

·
Premium Member
15,095 Posts
Hallett actually isn't bad at all for a bike. There are a couple patched spots that you learn to avoid, but besides that, most of the choppy stuff is outside of the racing line.
Hmm. Do you know what corners the patches are in? And what direction have you ran? I've only been on it CCW where when you cross the start/finish the building is on your left.

1. If you saw my signature, you would know that I was running Power Ones...
2. No, i was not using tire warmers. If you read what I wrote above the video, you would know my tires were already warm because of the HIGH PSI of the air inside them. When tires move around and get warm, the air inside them gets warmer and expands, thus increasing the internal PSI of the tire. i started the day at 31PSI and after this session they were at 40 PSI... you tell me if the tires were warm of not.
3. Power Ones are a dual purpose tire. They are made for the aggressive rider that needs a sticker compound on the outside i.e. when turning at high speeds and often i.e. while racing.

Like the other guy said... it's not always that fault of the equipment so much as the error coming from the person in the saddle. But in this case, I made the mistake of not checking my tire pressure... my fault.
Power Ones are designed for 75% track days, 25% street

·
sénior BBQ Master
22,270 Posts
The ol kick out, power recovery, let off throttle, check ur pants maneuver. We know it well.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hmm. Do you know what corners the patches are in? And what direction have you ran? I've only been on it CCW where when you cross the start/finish the building is on your left.
After this last weekend I have run in both directions, twice CCW and once CW... and I am a bigger fan of CW for sure!! The turns that are patched heavily are 2 (the bus stop), 5 & 6, 9, and 10 on the outside if I remember correctly. But I can always let you take a look too... This video is in the ClockWise motion too

·
Premium Member
15,095 Posts
Holy crap. That looks even rougher than when I was on it..... And people say that's safer than riding on the streets. Yes, they keep the sand and crap off the track but you can't hold speed through the corners because they are so damn rough it'll wreck you.

And do you still have the stock sprockets on your bike? Thing sounds odd when you shift.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
And do you still have the stock sprockets on your bike? Thing sounds odd when you shift.
Yes sir! I haven't upgraded yet... gonna wait till next season I think...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts