Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a problem that I was wondering if you could help me with.

BTW I ride a 1993 ZX11D.

The fuel in my fuel tank is vaporizing/pressurizing up enough that fuel flows out of the closed fill cap, if you open it, the fuel spays out like soda from a can.

I pulled off the fill cap and inspected the gasket as well as tightened down the flange, but it still flows fuel out.

This happend while I was on a long (950 mi)ride this week end. Not only did it soak my tank bag and my clothes, but it has started to take off the clear coat and dull the paint.

One other note, the fill cap does not appear to leak while the engine is running, but it takes less than a minute to start leaking again once the engine is shut down.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I think this bike has a breather tube coming from the right bottom of the tank. This might be pinched or clogged up causing the problem.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have pulled the fuel tank and found a small piece of tubing with a knot tied in it. When I untied the knot the tank began to leak fuel from the hose.

Is this the "vent" you spoke of? How do I keep it from leaking fuel? If this is the vent, it has been tied since I have owned the bike. If so do you have any ideas on why this problem has note occured before?

Also, there is a second hose on the bottom of the tank attached to what looks like a Hockey puck. I pulled up a parts diagram on line, but I am still not sure what this piece is. I think it is the fuel gauge. Do any of you know what this is?

Thanks for any help you can provide.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
To All:

I have determined that I do in fact have a crack in the internal vent tube, thsi is why the tubing is tied off. I have tried to order a new tank from a couple of on-line parts houses, but so far I have been told that the tank is no longer available by two sites, and 1 site accepted the order but it is an open ended back order.

Can the tube be repaired? Is this wise?

What are my other choices to find a fuel tank for a 1993 ZX11D?

Thanks.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Just an idea, and I'm not even sure if it's feasible... Could you push a small diameter hose up through the vent tube and seal it around the top and bottom? Probably wouldn't be the best fix in the world, but it beats a knot at the end of the drain.
There's always ebay! I see them on there all the time.

·
Registered
7 Posts
bikebandit.com has a complete schematics of OEM (original equipment). They have tanks listed. I have purchased numerous parts for my 11 here and everything is brand new and genuine Kawasaki parts

1 - 8 of 8 Posts