Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
anyone know why this kit is 114? i ready other threads saying the picked them up for 60?

[ame]http://www.amazon.com/KAWASAKI-Bi-Xenon-Headlight-Conversion-Diamond/dp/B006JE813E[/ame]

·
Premium Member
11,231 Posts
Because A it is high/low beam.
B it comes with a bunch of extra shit, namely the "mounting brackets" and the wiring you need.

And it also looks like C: it comes with the relay you need.

·
Premium Member
11,231 Posts
If you have a fluted glass lens instead of a reflector style, then no. I wouldn't. You just wind up with glare and will blind the shit out of everyone.

But that's just me.

·
Premium Member
11,231 Posts
If you have "fluted" headlight(s) its glass with a lens setup that you can't really see through. Reflectors have clear plastic/glass in front of the bulb that you can see easily inside of.

They both suck with HIDs, but theold glass fluted style ones create super glare.

Best possible option is a projector retrofit which isn't possible with the fluted ones, but it is a huge pain in the ass.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i just looked and its fluted. so i shouldnt waist my money, i dont want a bunch of glare, but if theres an alternative i dont mind doing some work. hmm sucks

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
cyclegear has hid kits on sale for $55 till july 5. Its the all-in-1 ballast/igniter setup. I'll probably get 1 for both my bikes.

·
Registered
3,775 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
well i was about to order this kit, when i did some reading and as this thread pointed outi have the older, "fluted" glass type headlight, so i decided not to get it, and have rethought my hid conversion attempt, anyone elses oppinion on the fluted glass hid conversion? to do or not to do?

·
Premium Member
1,682 Posts
I put a Bi-Xenon setup in my ZX11, and have to somewhat disagree with Squidge. Yes, there might be a little more glare for oncoming traffic, but I don't get flashed at all. The low beam cuts the pattern and keeps it low, and the high beam is still focused well. The added illumination for you as a rider is incredible. I'm in rural CO with lots of long unlit roads, and would not ride at night without the HID addition. If you're a city dweller where there is lot's of ambient light, then maybe it isn't a requirement.

A pic to let you decide on glare-

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
but rnoliver, you have a "d" model which supposedly does not have the fluted glass like on my older 1990 "c". that is what he is saying that with my older "c" model i will create alot of glare through that fluted glass. any oppinion on that rnoliver? i would like to do the conversion but i dont want it looking bad.

·
Registered
3,775 Posts
Well, according to the Parts Fiche, the Headlight lens for a 1990 ZX11C is the SAME part number as a 1993 ZX11D.... so IMHO, if the lens were of a different design, they would NOT have the same part numbers.

P/N 23007

Im have the same year as Rich does, and I have NO issues with my HID install, other then its frelling AWESOME, and I should have done it a lot sooner.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
well, im no parts expert, but maybe they just stopped doing the fluting glass and only on older, originals is it flutted?? is your headlight fluted glass? thats the easy way to tell

·
Registered
3,775 Posts
well, im no parts expert, but maybe they just stopped doing the fluting glass and only on older, originals is it flutted?? is your headlight fluted glass? thats the easy way to tell
Dude, you are being way to anal about this..... I found an HID system I liked, I ordered it, I installed it, It worked. END OF STORY.

If for some gawd awful reason you have a fluted headlight lens, whatever the FUCK that is, you can easily return the HID system and get you $$$ back. ...

Get off the shitter, and just ORDER ONE!!!

Mine came from www.xenonrider.com

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
i got no problem ordering it man, was just looking for some info about it and the glare i read about. if i install and return it id have to order a new headlight if it didnt work out.

·
Premium Member
11,231 Posts
Dude, you are being way to anal about this..... I found an HID system I liked, I ordered it, I installed it, It worked. END OF STORY.

If for some gawd awful reason you have a fluted headlight lens, whatever the FUCK that is, you can easily return the HID system and get you $$$ back. ...

Get off the shitter, and just ORDER ONE!!!

Mine came from www.xenonrider.com
How do you not know what that is?

"Fluted" is the glass style where the glass is what focuses the beam. A reflector is like what my 7R has, clear plastic/glass front and the reflector in back focuses it. And projectors are the king of the pile.

Say what you will, HIDs in a traditional glass housing are shitty as fuck. They might be great where you are sitting, but from the other end they look like shit and are hardly different from running your highs as far as most other drivers are concerned.

Do some handle it better than others? Sure they do.

But if you had the same bike and all three styles of headlight housing to compare, you wouldn't use anything but the projector, and barring that as an option your stock one would be thrown away too.

But I think it is plainly obvious that you haven't experienced the other options.

I cannot fucking stand it when I see a car or a bike with HIDs in that style housing. And I can always tell from a mile away (or more). It drives me nuts, it floods my mirrors with glare, and when coming head on I have to look away even with their low beams on.

Its garbage.

If you wanna be "that guy" go nuts. I don't live anywhere near you. But I am telling you it's shitty.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
i hear you masta squidge, thats why i held off on buying it, i dont think im going to do the conversion now unless i find a different way, really wish i could get a regular headlight in there to do the conversion, and i was also thinking, how do you not know what we mean by flutted glass, i took one look at my headlight and knew exactly what you ment

·
Premium Member
11,231 Posts
You can still do it and it will work fine for you, from your end.

If you don't mind being a dick, then go for it.

·
Premium Member
1,682 Posts
Granted a projector is the best, or as second a pure reflector as on my KTM. But if you don't go cheap and get the sheilded Hi/Lo Xenon bulb it does allow the headlight to actually work in low beam. I think the big problem you see is guys putting the straight H4 replacement in, and then they really only have high beams.

A light source is a light source. The original bulbs managed the change in focus by having the filament for low in a different location than the filament for high. The bi-Xenon uses a solenoid to move the light source. You do get a low beam, and you don't blind on-coming traffic. Light doesn't focus differently just because it is brighter.

That is the difference between a $60 set and a $100 set. Don't get the $60 HID-

Lastly, it doesn't matter what light you put in if you don't aim your headlight. Probably the most ignored part of the process.

Also, in other threads, a large portion of forum members like to ride with Highs on all the time, so being a dick isn't relegated to just HID users.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts