Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New to the group but not motorcycles. I've owned many Kawasakis over the years currently only have one, Most of my interest is in getting another nice 80's 90s ZX7R but also considering earlier Superbikes like Z1000 MkII and Z1R for AHRMA racing. I have also owned a number of ZX10Rs and will eventually be on the lookout for a clean unmolested 05 06 model for the collection- street only. I had a black and blue one and loved those bikes. Something unique and raw about these earlier models. I live North of Atlanta GA , great mountains roads but originally from the UK where we rode in the rain seemingly everyday from what I remember lol It makes you a better rider for sure! Looking forward to spending time in the forums

·
Registered
3,657 Posts
Corse, welcome to the site! #1 forum site here so you've landed in the right place.

·
Premium Member
13,041 Posts
I was in your 'hood riding just a few weeks ago. Base camp was in Blairsville. There are lots of great roads in that area. My fave is the Blood Mountain Road section of US 129.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I was in your 'hood riding just a few weeks ago. Base camp was in Blairsville. There are lots of great roads in that area. My fave is the Blood Mountain Road section of US 129.
I live close enough to be able to ride Blood Mtn most weekends. Its one of the greatest roads I've ever been on and so much better that The Dragon.

I still ride in the rain & my ridings getting worse!
Hi.
I think its because we are more experienced in knowing how hard its hurts when it all goes wrong!

·
Premium Member
13,041 Posts
I live close enough to be able to ride Blood Mtn most weekends. Its one of the greatest roads I've ever been on and so much better that The Dragon.
To me, The Tail of the Dragon is a novelty road. If you have a 600cc single with Supermoto suspension and tires, it's great. For anything larger it's a task and a rasslin match to just exceed the 30 mph speed limit safely. Once you've been down and back up a couple of times, you should cross it off your bucket list and look for some real roads. In that area of the world, you won't have to look very far.

A guy from my son-in-law's hometown was killed on The Dragon last weekend. He slowed for a turn and was hit from behind by another motorcyclist. Both bikes went down a steep cliff. This occurred at 10 am last Saturday morning and the crash wasn't discovered until 12:45 the next afternoon. Someone heard the survivor's cries for help and alerted authorities. According to the story I read, the deceased was on a Victory cruiser and the survivor was riding a BMW touring rig. Neither machine had any business even being there except that it's a free country and you're free to get as ignorant as you want. The survivor has the rest of his life to think about it. The other guy wasn't so "lucky".

·
Registered
3,657 Posts
That's exactly how I felt after riding the Dragon a few times up/down. Instead took the map and starting looking for other roads which were imo better for the bike I was riding which at the time was a rented ST1300. When I was at the Dragon there wasn't deaths but there was a couple of accidents. Apparently an EMS truck sits on stand by because I heard they're often called. After riding and exploring some of those serious 5-10 mph hairpins, I understand why. I seen dudes blasting by trying to make those twisties and at times not knowing what's around the bend. Pretty dangerous stuff.

·
Premium Member
1,212 Posts
To me, The Tail of the Dragon is a novelty road. If you have a 600cc single with Supermoto suspension and tires, it's great. For anything larger it's a task and a rasslin match to just exceed the 30 mph speed limit safely. Once you've been down and back up a couple of times, you should cross it off your bucket list and look for some real roads. In that area of the world, you won't have to look very far.

A guy from my son-in-law's hometown was killed on The Dragon last weekend. He slowed for a turn and was hit from behind by another motorcyclist. Both bikes went down a steep cliff. This occurred at 10 am last Saturday morning and the crash wasn't discovered until 12:45 the next afternoon. Someone heard the survivor's cries for help and alerted authorities. According to the story I read, the deceased was on a Victory cruiser and the survivor was riding a BMW touring rig. Neither machine had any business even being there except that it's a free country and you're free to get as ignorant as you want. The survivor has the rest of his life to think about it. The other guy wasn't so "lucky".
Kind of a situation y im really not into large group rides

·
Premium Member
6,440 Posts
Welcome

1 - 13 of 13 Posts