Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, I havent ridden in a few years now. My last bike was a 99 Busa, I traded it towards an 02 ZO6 that I owned for roughly 3 yrs and due to mechanical issues and the associated cost of ownership of that kind of car I have sold it and want to return to riding.

From everything Ive read a zx10 is just too much of a bike for me, even considering I rode a busa for a few years.

I really like the way the Kawi Zx6 looks, and from everything Ive read its a fast 600.

I have a few questions about the ZX6 if you guys dont mind. What are the differences between the different models? The ZX6 R, the ZX6RR and the 636? Its my understanding that the 636 is the bike to get.

There is an 06 silver 636 at a local dealer with 0 miles and theyre asking $7900. I really want a lime green but cant seem to find an 06 model locally in that color. My insurance would be $1200 full coverage, and $700 for liability with theft protection for a year, the lower cost of insurance is one of the swaying factors in getting a 6 over a liter bike which has almost double the insurance costs.

What is the horsepower/torque of the 636 and other 06 Zx6 models? I heard 120 and I also heard 130 but cant verify anything on the net as apparently bike manufacturers have stopped listing the horsepower ratings.

I still have my helmet and gloves but will need a good jacket, and boots. Recommended boots and jacket would be great.

Should I ask for the bike for lower than $7900? Are any of you guys residing in northern california frequenting the tracks around here? I ran my Z06 at Laguna Seca and had a blast.

Great site by the way.

Im kinda excited!

·
Registered
6 Posts
The 636 is the one to get, I have the 05 one in blue.

Makes claimed 130BHP at the crank around 111-114 at the wheel depending on the run in and Dyno being used. Top bike, loads more torque than other 600's (even though it cheats who cares!!) about 45lb of torque and a decent mid range (for a 600) but really flies after 9k on the tacho. Brakes to put your eyeballs through your visor, real stable front end especially on track and the BT14 are ace on road and track and the suspension is superb.

Only downers is the front end can be very flighty on the road, over bumps (I have had a couple tank slappers that have caused new pant syndrome), it can be abit vibey at speed through the pegs and bars, but hell it a race bike and the most exciting,fun,mad bike I have owned I love it. Get it you wont be dissapointed, As for price I dont know $7900 is around 4500GBP and that is a bargain for a new bike over here 06 reg are about 1k more!!!!!

·
Registered
6 Posts
The 636 is a ZX6R. It just had it's capacity upped to 636 and is sometimes termed as such.

The ZX6RR is more track focussed and is also 600cc not 636, this is due to World Supersport rules from my understanding.

I have an '06 ZX6R (636) and love it, I have owned numerous bikes in the past including an '04 R1, so I thought the ZX6 might be a bit lacking, but the low down grunt is pretty good, which coming from a Busa you'd be expecting. You don't have to wind it up as much as other 600's which is why I chose it. However it keeps on making power right the way up the rev range so it goes from powerful, to sucking your face off, in 600 terms of course but it's a bloody quick bike and plenty quick enough for anyone.

If you're going for new then the '07 ZX6R will be back to 600cc but is said to produce as much power if not more than the current ZX6R(636) and also takes away the confusion of running two models the R and the RR.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Just to point out, the 2007 zx6r does NOT produce as much power as the 05-06 636. It is a more track focused bike and goin by all the reviews the magazines say there is no point swapping your current 05-06 zx6r for a new version.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the replies everyone, I am looking at a NEW 2006 silver zx6 R 636, the new 2007 headlight design doesnt do it for me anyways. I can get it for $7900 or less depending on how much haggling I do when I go look at it saturday.

I plan on getting it for under $7k out the door. 130 hp from half a liter is astonishing. The 45 ft lb remark made me laugh inside, Ive never owned anything with that little torque in my life, aparently this bike doesnt need it.

What is the dry weight of this thing? MPG? Thanks again everyone.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts