Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, im thinking about buying a bike. Im 17 and have had some hours riding and have my license but i was wondering, is the zx636 too fast of a bike or is this a good bike for me to ride and learn on. And hopefully keep it for a while or should I go with the ninja 250r or 500r. what do you guys think.

appreciate all input. thanks

·
Registered
131 Posts
Im 17......well 18 at the end of the month but Id say just go for the 636. Its all in throttle control. I mean you could jump onto a ZX10R as long as you didnt crack the throttle too much. If insurance wasnt so high I would be on one right now haha. The 636 will just be a better overall bike to learn on though. I like something with alittle balls so I can get out of the way of traffic if I need to. Just ride safe.

·
Registered
25 Posts
the 636 is a whole different monster compared to say a 500 or 250 ninja. i would say that just to be safe start with a 500 ninja. Just to get a feel for riding a sport bike, you can always trade up to a bigger bike later.

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
na, get the 636, just be carefull with the throtle. Get something u like, dont be like my budy who got a 500 and sold it a month later to get a 600.

good luck, ride safe

·
Registered
449 Posts
Madmax, remember being 17/18 on a machine? I do, and I rode like a squid because I could. I'm prolly lucky I didn't kill myself.

·
Registered
131 Posts
^^ Good to get it out of your system when your young haha. Im 18 and admit I dont usually drive under proper guidlines. I am dangerous to myself on a bike but not to others. If there are other vehicles around or people I wont do stupid things. Every time I step on the bike I know the risk that I am taking but I accept that. This just brings me back to the point that its the "rider" not the bike.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Well I was once told "just because you could, doesn't mean you should." I'm 23 and starting riding almost a year ago. I'll be honest I didn't start on a 250 or 500, but with what I know now I wish I would have started on a smaller machine. I have respect for someone asking opinions about getting a not so cool or fast machine for a first, especially coming from a 17 year old. I would definately recommend a smaller machine, a used one and get used to being out on the road on two wheels with several thousand pound machines around you. Then upgrade later, maybe 6-8 months down the road. Good luck, stay safe, and always wear the proper gear!!

·
Registered
449 Posts
Guys, I have been riding(on the street) since I was 16 and I know were all good riders but I'm just sayin getting some sane miles under your belt is a good thing, that way you find your style and gives you room to grow. In my 17 years of riding thats just my opinion.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Iwana636 I thinks it's cool that you'd ask in the first place.

I agree with pastorrikk1, go the cheaper small bike first. You wouldn't start with knifes to learn how to juggle.

So if you are like I was and loved speed, like to find the limit and couldn't help going fast, then you would be taking huge risk but if you like bikes and get nervous when you go fast maybe you will be ok.

Then there's that old bike saying
"There are two types of riders, those who have crashed and those who are going to crash."

You are going to fall off be it through your own fault or someone elses and or drop the bike doing something stupid like losing your balance while getting off the bike.

Good luck, Pete.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Iwana636 I thinks it's cool that you'd ask in the first place.
+1

If you can afford it, take a riding school that has some 500cc sportbikes so you can find out first hand weather a 500 will be enough for you and also learn some valuable riding tips. The course i took had 250 & 500 ninjas and those things sure are alot of fun to throw arround. Anyways man glad to see you've gone with kawi!:evil

·
Registered
102 Posts
Well this is actually something I have some experience with. I have only been riding one full season and I started on a ninja 250 and it was the best thing I ever did. The experience I got on a bike smaller , lighter, narrower bike was priceless and looking back i think if I would have started with the 600 although i probably would not have hurt myself, I may have dumped it once or twice simply because of the size difference, riding position and just learning the basics of how to ride, such as countersteering and all that fun stuff. Now that was my first bike ever if you rode dirt growing up or anything like that it may not be a big deal jumping on a 600 cause you already have the fundamentals of a motorcycle and how the forces feel and work on two wheels. Also I bought my 250 brand new with the intention of keeping it for a year and there were times where i felt i should have started with a 600 that is until i actually bought mine and it just made me appreciate the experience i got on a smaller bike cause believe me when you get comfortable you will want to test your limits. Now all that long winded stuff being said it all comes down to what you feel comfortable with and just the fact that you asked first is a good sign. By the way i bought my 250 new for 3000 and sold it for 2500, those bikes hold their value well and people are always looking for them so its not a waste of monay at all. Good luck to you and ride safe

·
Registered
649 Posts
You'll be glad in the long run if you start out on a smaller bike. You really get a chance to learn the fundamentals and will feel 100x's more comfortable on a RR when the time comes. Get a few thousand miles under your belt and then jump on the 636. :rofl

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
appreciate the comments and responses all.

Most of you seem to think that i should go with a smaller bike, should i go with a 250r or 500r. Will the 250 be too small that i be sick of it in a couple weeks or months or will the 500r last a little longer like 6 months or so and then i can sell it and bump up to a 636 when i think that im ready.

If any of you know anyone selling a 250r or 500r near ny or ct, within the tri state area. Id greatly appreciate it.

thanks
Mark

·
Registered
102 Posts
well I had a 250 and it was perfect for me but Im also not a big person so you may want to take some of that into account. Im only 5'6 145 so if you're like 6 ft it may be a little small. too bad we didnt talk sooner I just sold my 06 250 about 3 weeks ago...

heres a pic....

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
ohh man, that thing looks sweetttt....

Well i really do want to get a 636 because i hate buying things then selling them, i know if i get the 636, im gonna end up keeping it for a while, years...! But that is true, im only 5'5 135lbs. so im pretty small but my brother have an 06 Yam. R6 Raven and the hieght and everything is good for me, as is the cbr because i sat on it but kawi is the way to go.

Do all you guys think its best to go with a 250 or 500 or just screw it and get a 636 to learn on and become a good rider on that. I know all about throttle control b/c ive had many dirtbikes and quads and i love power. Im worried the 250 wont have much to offer and im gonna get rid of it soon, and if i go with a 500; why not just go with the 636. do you guys understand.

What do you all think..
Appreciate it. thanks all.

·
Registered
649 Posts
Just don't love the power toooooooooo much on the 636.... it'll surprise the hell out of you once it hits the higher rpms!!!!!! Dirt is also a totally different terrain than street so make sure to keep the rubber side down!!!!!! :crazyloco

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
if you have owned dirtbikes and stuff then go for the 636.......wish you would haev stated that earlier!!!!!

Well have experience on two wheels but as said, "dirt is different then pavement". I can fool around like nohing on a dirtbike but on a sport bike, you cant do that. The power is different, the rpms are different and its alot heavier. So im still undecided but do you guys think i should stick with a 636 or small. thanks

1 - 20 of 33 Posts