Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
722 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
We have all done it.
First time poster, needs help fixing his bike.
Then you reach out and help, and the guy either argues with you,LIES ABOUT WHAT WAS REALLY WRONG, or fixes the bike(WELL, YOU FIXED IT TECHNICALLY) and never comes back.
Never even admits you fixed it, just rides off into the sunset with a big grin on his face......
i PROPOSE A BAN ON HELPING THOSE WITHOUT AT LEAST 100 POSTS
THOUGHTS?
LOL

·
Premium Member
2,286 Posts
I understand the frustration when this happens but I don’t think NOT helping people with less than 100 posts is the answer.
Offer your opinion/advise/recommendations and let the person do as they see fit. If you feel snubbed or person gets argumentative, just stop answering.
Has happened to me a couple of times but most on here are awesome people who share a common passion. Don’t let the odd troll or drop in poster ruin this site. It is a wealth of info and great people.
Just ignore the haters, they will leave on their own. JMHO.

·
Administrator
58,489 Posts
This is a huge topic everywhere.
I just stated the same thing on a Polaris forum and all agreed
It's frustrating but not much you can do
I even go back to threads and ask what the problem was and most of the time I get no reply.
I have my own way to weed out the trolls. If you can't spell or use punctuation and don't have a clue of basic diagnostics then I pass.
Or if you don't even have the free harbor freight VOM to help diagnose electrical problems then I pass

·
Registered
722 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
WELL SAID
My boss has a shirt.
It says
"I didnt become a mechanic to fix your shit for free"
Im not helping anymore

·
Premium Member
13,062 Posts
I just try to pass on what's been passed to me by whatever means-experience, reading, education yaddayaddayadda.
If a poster with a problem is not being honest, even an honest, true answer won't help. I am on several other forums, some of which I only posted on to solve a problem I was having. I don't feel guilty as I have helped a few others along the way.

That being said, diagnosing motorcycle problems over the internet is an exercise in guesswork and if you have to guess what the hell someone is talking about when they don't know what they are talking about you're really out in the ether.

·
Registered
722 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Im a member of many forums as well, and I have helped and been helped many times.
It was kind of like a give and take . After a while I realized some people dont deserve help. Not to mention every single bike we fix online takes money from the table of
mechanics and small business.
Do you think this is true?

·
Registered
720 Posts
I think some people forget there is a real person behind these key strokes.

Many are younger folks, with no home training nowadays.

·
Premium Member
13,062 Posts
Im a member of many forums as well, and I have helped and been helped many times.
It was kind of like a give and take . After a while I realized some people dont deserve help. Not to mention every single bike we fix online takes money from the table of
mechanics and small business.
Do you think this is true?
If I were imparting arcane secrets or rocket science, I might think like that. I admire good shops and good techs, but there are hacks out here that victimize folks, too. Some of the things posters have said they heard from their shop or mechanic defy imagination. I learned to take care of my own stuff because i didn't trust many of the people working in motorcycle shops at the time. If someone else is trying to do that for themselves, I'm glad to try to help.

·
Administrator
58,489 Posts
The other side of this story is when you try and help and offer an idea and someone else comes in and says "that's not it"
OK, then what is it?
Like Dan said it's difficult to diagnose some problems over the internet especially when someone posts a video of a noise
I bet we could figure out most of these problems in just seconds if we were standing next to the bike

·
Registered
722 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Example;
My gsxr wont rev past 4000 rpm.
a simple google search will tell you its the STVA. it even has videos on how to re solder the unit.
However, its much easier to go on gsxr.com and ask for a free handout.

·
Registered
722 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yeah half the time i was helping someone, I was just googling the question posed, and then sending links to vids and/or information.
One time I asked myself, why am I doing this again? Then, repeatedly the OP was less than respectful and /or just fixed the bike and never came back, then my boss cussed me out for being a douche that helps people too much, etc
I mean if a member on here has a problem and has shown some sort of track record of nobility, I will help as much as I can
everyone else, google it yourself cuz

·
Registered
3,515 Posts
I have my own way to weed out the trolls. If you can't spell or use punctuation and don't have a clue of basic diagnostics then I pass.
Yeah, thats what I look for as well lol. Good to see u again EZ... Hows Tricks?

Ive been here 10 years, and I dont mind wasting my time with the 1 stop shoppers..... I was in retail for 20 years and both my Sisters were Teachers.... & I cant stand knowing/finding a solution & not sharing it, especially If its something new, then having a diag thread is always good if it leads to solutions....

Ive been dealing with rolling mechanicals since I was 14, and helping People not have to go thru the frustration, time, sweat & bruised body parts I had you get thru to find a fix, is very rewarding to me... but thats just me.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts