Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Help!! Bike starts and then dies...???

I really need some help.

firstly, I am not a mechanic by any means and will not pretend to be, but i can do some basic things.

Having said that:

I went to start my baby up today and she fired right up, ran for a couple seconds then sputtered and died. Tried it again a couple more times and the same thing happens. The engine will turn over then die. But, if i rolled the throttle it would die instantly. And then my battery died...which i dont know if that could be a cause either.

Now, i don't know if this would be caused by the fact that my bike was sitting in the garage while i was doing some light (actually a lot) of spray painting and may have clogged something? a dead/dying battery? i dont know and have no idea where to begin.

i just know that this never happened before.

ideas? any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Premium Member
6,582 Posts
I really need some help.

firstly, I am not a mechanic by any means and will not pretend to be, but i can do some basic things.

Having said that:

I went to start my baby up today and she fired right up, ran for a couple seconds then sputtered and died. Tried it again a couple more times and the same thing happens. The engine will turn over then die. But, if i rolled the throttle it would die instantly. And then my battery died...which i dont know if that could be a cause either.

Now, i don't know if this would be caused by the fact that my bike was sitting in the garage while i was doing some light (actually a lot) of spray painting and may have clogged something? a dead/dying battery? i dont know and have no idea where to begin.

i just know that this never happened before.

ideas? any help would be greatly appreciated.
Start with the battery. Get it charged and make sure it's healthy or replace it. Once you get that done you can better diagnose what's going on.

·
Registered
888 Posts
if it cranks and starts.. probably not battery related.

sounds more on the choke issues.. fuel to air mixture.
dirty carbs? or something as simple as bubbles in the fuel filter.

·
Premium Member
6,582 Posts
if it cranks and starts.. probably not battery related.

sounds more on the choke issues.. fuel to air mixture.
dirty carbs? or something as simple as bubbles in the fuel filter.
You're probably right, but you need voltage first. That's why I'm saying get the battery situation straight. Sometimes weak battery issues will make you believe it's carb issues when it's just a weak battery.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
You're probably right, but you need voltage first. That's why I'm saying get the battery situation straight. Sometimes weak battery issues will make you believe it's carb issues when it's just a weak battery.
+1 weak battery means slow crank and weak spark...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
alright, so i bought a brand new battery. charged it and everything. threw it in, started it and the same thing happened. it struggles to turn over for a second, then it'll fire for a split second then die. again, if i turn the throttle for more gas it'll die immediately. any direction i could go with this? anyone ever had similar problems?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts