Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While riding my 99 ZX-11D yesterday I noticed a loud clicking sound when I get on the throttle. Pulled over to see where the noise was coming from and the motor just died! Tried to start it but it would barely turn over. $125 later got the bike home, pulled the airbox and manifold and found a small amount of oil in the number 1 and 4 spark plug section. Valves are a little dirty but I've seen worse!

Bike has 28k on it! Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
990 Posts
Tricky one, that needs some diagnosis to suss what went wrong. Can you give more info as to what happened as it is difficult to pinpoint a problem without.

Anyway as above +

First thing I would do is rotate the engine manually to see what happens or what noises are made. Pull plugs & either take the cover off the left hand crank end & use a socket or put in gear to try to rotate engine using the back wheel.

Normally a head gasket would not stop an engine running but the noise under load points to either that or an exhaust leak.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Alright, here's where I stand. Pulled the plugs and did a compression which checked good! Rotated the crankshaft and tried to pinpoint where the noise was coming from but no luck! All valves and timing seem to be working correctly. Pulled the clutch cover and looks like something was grinding against the Pressure Plate. Engaged the clutch and rotated it by hand and found the noise. Also found the Clutch plate warped and out of spec. according to the service manual.

My question is how difficult is it to replace the clutch? Cost? Does the tranny need to be in Neutral when replacing the clutch? Service manual didn't specify.

Thanks,
Mark

1 - 4 of 4 Posts