Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i ride a 97 zx7r and recently had the chain break on me when it broke it spooled up on the front sprocket and snapped the shaft that the sprocket mounts to so i ordered the shaft and the side motor casings that were damaged dropped the motor flipped it over and pulled the bottom end off replaced the shaft got it all back together, now what worries me is the motor is all in and with the bike in neutral the front sprocket free spins as it should, if i kick it down into first the sprocket does not spin also as it should but if i pull the clutch and try to spin the sprocket it still will not spin can anyone verify if that is as it should be because it seem if i pull the clutch it should allow the sprocket to spin even if its in gear.thanks for any help.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Doesn't sound right. Try the simple stuff first. Ensure the clutch is disengaging the tranny from the motor. You may have air in your clutch line or the plates may be sticking together. Will it turn over in 2nd, 3rd, or 4th?

·
Premium Member
6,582 Posts
i ride a 97 zx7r and recently had the chain break on me when it broke it spooled up on the front sprocket and snapped the shaft that the sprocket mounts to so i ordered the shaft and the side motor casings that were damaged dropped the motor flipped it over and pulled the bottom end off replaced the shaft got it all back together, now what worries me is the motor is all in and with the bike in neutral the front sprocket free spins as it should, if i kick it down into first the sprocket does not spin also as it should but if i pull the clutch and try to spin the sprocket it still will not spin can anyone verify if that is as it should be because it seem if i pull the clutch it should allow the sprocket to spin even if its in gear.thanks for any help.
Clutch is dragging.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i blead my clutch line and i havn't put oil in it yet so i have the clutch cover off and the clutch pads are seperating with i pull the clutch, im more worried and hope im wrong but im thinking maybe i got the shift forks wrong on the shift drum?

·
Registered
674 Posts
The three shift forks are very distinct. It's highly unlike you got the front/back ones mixed up and I don't think the crank case can be closed if you mixed the left/right ones up.

If you pull the clutch in while in gear can you push the bike around?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
the bike is still on the stands im reluctant to finish it up with this on my mind so exhaust and radiator are all still off and i don't have the chain back on it yet either, i do know that if i put it in gear and bump the starter with the clutch pulled in the sprocket still spins

·
Premium Member
6,582 Posts
i do know that if i put it in gear and bump the starter with the clutch pulled in the sprocket still spins
This will happen. The only way to know for sure if everything is right is to start it in neutral with the rear wheel on the ground.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
neutral free spins like its suppost to, im worried about the gears not disengaging when i pull the clutch in if i put it in first and hit the starter the front sprocket just turns away with the motor and if i pull in the clutch there is no change even though i can see the clutch pads seperating when in i pull the clutch.

·
Premium Member
6,582 Posts
neutral free spins like its suppost to, im worried about the gears not disengaging when i pull the clutch in if i put it in first and hit the starter the front sprocket just turns away with the motor and if i pull in the clutch there is no change even though i can see the clutch pads seperating when in i pull the clutch.
If you can see the clutch separating then it is mechanically divorcing itself and the transmission from the engine. It's working like it should. If you're that worried keep your thumb over the kill switch to shut it off in case of emergency.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
so your saying that im thinking too much into it and i should just ride it lol sounds like a plan

·
Registered
1,761 Posts
even with the clutch in and your engine running the rear wheel will spin if its off the ground... it drags slightly at all times which could explain why you can't spin the sprocket. try harder i guess?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
yea but this is not slighty dragging the sprocket is turning over with the motor like full on locked in first with or without the clutch pulled in

·
Registered
1,761 Posts
i guess your only test then is to put it all together and start it with the wheel on the ground and with it in gear and the clutch in

1 - 13 of 13 Posts