Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry for the double post, as I have this posted in the mechanic forum also. I recently bought a 91 zx1100. It only has 5k on it. I rode it a couple times short distances without any problems. It runs like new, but then it died on me while I was coming to a stop and had no juice to start back up. I changed the battery and it started, but after a few minutes, I shut it off and it was dead. I figured it was the alternator after that, so I bought an alt. off of ebay..it was from a 96 zx1100..it is the same part number 21001-1104..looks the same. I put it in myself, but I am no mechanic. It started up and the same thing, I ran it for about 5 minutes and shut it off, and it had no juice to start back up. Lights came on, but it had a clicking noise when i tried to restart it. I noticed there was dried grease on the alt I bought, and the one I took off...is there supposed to be a gasket or grease that goes on when you put the a new alt. on? This has me really upset and any info would be appreciated. Thanx in advance

·
Registered
94 Posts
Hi I had some simular problems with my 94 and it turned out to be the fuse junction box had gone bad. It would start and then sometimes it just didn't want to start at all. I changed out a lot of parts like the kickstand safety switch and the starter relay but it ultimately came down to the fuse junction box being bad, you might want to clean out your sarter switch as well a little WD40 in the little pin hole on the bottom of the switch box. Good luck!

·
Registered
10 Posts
The electrical connections at several key junctions are prone to oxidation, and can cause heck. My '92 had been having issues running correctly for some time and then one day, after a couple month sit up, it wouldnt even try to fire. And alas, there was no fire! The plug connection to the ignition unit was the culprit, unplugging and re plugging made it run, but I knew I needed to do more. To the untrained eye, the spades looked fairly clean. But very close inspection showed oxidation at the actual contact points. The fuse box as mentioned in the 1st reply could do the same thing as well as many others. These connectors werent moisture sealed like new stuff is, so any bike washing was just leaving moisture in the connectors to slowly create this grief. Cleaning is tedious, a scotch brite fragment, or fine emory paper w/ the help of small screwdriver or something is how I did mine, then wipe clean and I used some anti oxident treatment that I use in electronics at my job as a preventative. ----------I wouldn't have suspected an alternator issue with a 5k mile engine, but who really knows! But connections are a function only of time and environment; ( and major heat, like a short). After finding my problem, I went thru and did "housekeeping" to all the major circuits just because. -----Ed

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
problem fixed

It wound up being the wiring harness that the alternator connects into was very badly corroded. Took a while to figure that out. So that was fixed only to see that now it is leaking oil from the alternator because you are supposed to put some silicone grease when you put a new alternator on to seal the o-ring. My mechanic told me to throw some stop leak in the crankcase and that shud seal it up :banghead

·
Registered
683 Posts
personally, i think that stop leak stuff is crap. i would never put it in my bike, especially if i could take the cover back off and seal it correctly. its worth the time and effort.
T

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.