Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking to replace my chain and its the first time I have done it. manual says to remove swingarm etc to do it but is the normal way to just push a link out and then rivet a new link in for the new chain?

also my bike has 108 links and i need to know if i buy a chain, will a connector link be included in those 108 links or will i need to buy an extra link and therefore only need a chain with 107 links?

confusing i know but im really not sure.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Any good chain is going to come with around 120 links or more. To pop out the rivets it's easier to grind off the head of the rivit first. Don't use anything but the correct tool such as the motion pro chain breaker and riveting tool. Don't take off the swingarm.

this should help more than words in a forum. He explains install very well for a youtube vid

·
Registered
307 Posts
^+1.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Any good chain is going to come with around 120 links or more. To pop out the rivets it's easier to grind off the head of the rivit first. Don't use anything but the correct tool such as the motion pro chain breaker and riveting tool. Don't take off the swingarm.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3gdLWZ9fcQ4&feature=youtube_gdata_player this should help more than words in a forum. He explains install very well for a youtube vid
cheers mate, thanks for the advice

·
Premium Member
13,120 Posts
Don't use the chain riveting tool to remove the old rivet master link. Take a 4" angle grinder and grind the ends off the rivet pins and the link will pry apart.
Saves wear and tear the tool. Then you can hook the new chain to the old one and pull it over the countershaft sprocket. Swingarm removal isn't necessary. When you have the new chain all the way around, shove the axle all the way fr0ward and figure out how many links to cut off the 120 the chain comes with. Again, use the angle grinder to shorten the new chain. Then and only then, you can use the chain rivet tool to rivet the new master link.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ok thanks guys, i need to get hold of a chain tool and a grinder then. the place I am buying the chain from cut it to your required number of links to knock money off if you want less links etc hence i asked for the number but i will get 108 and cut 1 off if necessary.

appreciate the replies :)

·
Registered
147 Posts
The master link is indeed included in the total number of links. So you should be able to get a chain of 107 but I don't know if I would trust in the quality of bulk chain.
If I were you I'd just take the hit and buy a good name brand riveted o-ring chain.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
they are good brand name chains im looking at, DID is a good one right? just wasnt sure if the master link is included with it or if I have to buy it seperately?

also what is the difference between o and x ring and which is better?

·
Registered
59 Posts
X-ring is the latest greatest thing... not 100% sure how much better though. About the best chain out there is a DiD ERV3 - great chain! If you don't have one, go getcha a Dremel. They are VERY useful tools to have. Also go get a DiD Chain Cutting/Riveting Tool, TJ over at Riders Discount can hook you up and he can walk you through plenty of other details if you just ask his input.

1) Go buy a chain slightly longer than what you need. A chain always has an "even" number of links. You can't put a 109 link chain on or a 111 or anything "odd" numbered on.
2) Take a grinding or cut off wheel on the Dremel and just knock down the head of a rivet.
3) Take your Chain Tool and push the old pin out, now your chain will be broke... remove chain
4) Take the new chain and feed it around your front sprocket and to the rear. Figure out where you're going to cut the new chain to make it the specific length you wish to end up with. REMEMBER, you'll ALWAYS have an even number of links!
5) Repeat steps 2 and 3 on the new chain.
6) Put new master link (which comes with the DiD chains) in along with the o-rings.
7) Use your chain tool to "press" the new master link on.
8) Use your chain tool to now flare the rivets and hence permanently install the new master.

9) Go ride.

Here's a great write-up from the fellas over at Riders Discount --> http://www.s1000rrforum.com/forum/r...-discount-s1000-rr-race-bike-7.html#post62211

·
Registered
4 Posts
Chain Breakers

Hi,

I wondered if anyone has had experience of breaking chains with a cheaper / non branded tool. I'm trying to break a chain from a zx7r I'm fairly sure this is a 525 chain.
The auction for the tool I've bought specifies :

WE DON'T RECOMMEND CUSTOMERS TO USE THEM FOR BREAKING HEAVY DUTY TYPES OF #530 TO #630 UNLESS THE RIVET HEAD IS GROUND OFF FIRST.

I should be OK I guess but just wondered if anyone else has done this work without grinding first. Otherwise looks like the safest option is to buy an angle grinder...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts