Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey guys, well my disastrous Puerto Rican "motora" is almost complete. Last step, the headlight.

So who's the wiring guru on here? I ordered a whole new headlight on eBay, but when seeing it's connections, what the bike came with for wiring, and what's on the front of the bike - I have no idea what connects to what. Could someone give me the "connect the blue to the blue etc..." Just need the SIMPLEST way to get light!

Below are some photos explained:

View of wires on bike from above:

View of wires on bike from head on:

View of wiring going on around my battery:

View of the headlight I ordered on eBay with it's connection, the bulb I have (only 1 for now in Puerto Rico :evil), and some HD box the guy who owned the bike before gave me. I don't care if it's HD or not I just need the simplest way to get light!

·
Registered
9,979 Posts
Someone else asked something similar recently, so I took some photographs of my bike's headlight wiring. Perhaps together with a wiring schematic, you can piece it all together. I can tell you that every wiring harness up front is connected to something.

2000 ZX-9R wiring photos

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Someone else asked something similar recently, so I took some photographs of my bike's headlight wiring. Perhaps together with a wiring schematic, you can piece it all together. I can tell you that every wiring harness up front is connected to something.

Good photos, but I guess I have to go with this HD conversion that the clown before me attempted on the bike! Can you help out below at all with what dragoninink is suggesting?

From memory this is how my HID is connected. The ballist looks like it's missing a cable though

Good photo actually! The only 2 unclear points for me are the connector attached to the ballast (I took a better photo below), and the "headlight connector on bike" - the only free wires I see is that black plastic piece on the left of my first 2 photos????

·
Premium Member
626 Posts
The easiest option to get a headlight is buy an ordinary bulb and just make a patch cable. The wiring diagram shows what colour goes to what pin.

I'm assuming you don't have a wreckers you can grab theconnector from.

·
Premium Member
11,231 Posts
From memory this is how my HID is connected. The ballist looks like it's missing a cable though

The ballast isnt missing anything, the cable that you have marked in black is what has to connect to the headlight plug/harness that is on the bike.

It should have a ground, high, and low beam running through it. The little jumper I can only assume for the high/low solenoid on the bulb (cant tell if it has that or not, seems like it).

Both my ballasts are about identical to that, but I do not have "bi-xenon" bulbs - only low beam.

·
Premium Member
11,231 Posts
You are only half correct in the second picture. OP, please do not just start cutting and splicing.

As stated, the black connector circled in black is for the bulb. Ground, High, and low beam. You have that right. Circling that 10 pin connector however would be a bad idea to try and cut into. If you look to the right of the "headlight" on the diagram you see another connector present.

Find the appropriate wires for high, low, and ground on the headlight harness and connect them. It is only three wires. Dont cut apart the connector with the 10 wires in it.

You need to find the red/black, black/yellow, and red/yellow wires. I can't tell, but those appear to be in the blue circled connector that he originally said should connect to a "missing" wire on the ballast.

This is really VERY simple.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
You are only half correct in the second picture. OP, please do not just start cutting and splicing.

As stated, the black connector circled in black is for the bulb. Ground, High, and low beam. You have that right. Circling that 10 pin connector however would be a bad idea to try and cut into. If you look to the right of the "headlight" on the diagram you see another connector present.

Find the appropriate wires for high, low, and ground on the headlight harness and connect them. It is only three wires. Dont cut apart the connector with the 10 wires in it.

You need to find the red/black, black/yellow, and red/yellow wires. I can't tell, but those appear to be in the blue circled connector that he originally said should connect to a "missing" wire on the ballast.

This is really VERY simple.
Masta Squidge I just sent you a PM I think I'm almost there - thanks a lot!

·
Premium Member
11,231 Posts
If you have a test light, turn the headlight switch to low beam, then ground the test light and probe the wires I listed above.

red/black, black/yellow, and red/yellow

the two red/XX wires should be your high/low, while the black/yellow ought to be just a ground.

Once you identify the low beam, flip it to high on the handlebar and then see if the other then has power and the first loses power.

I do not know what colors the wires are in that blue labeled connector, but it really is just a matter of finding those specific three that I mentioned (and are labeled in the diagram).

I do not know anything about that specific bike, but it almost appears as though you are missing the headlight harness.

There should be some type of FEMALE socket on the bike that is very similar to the MALE one circled in black, hell, it may even just plug directly in to that ballast.

The reason being that the bike should have a socket that just plugs into the back of a OEM/OEM replacement bulb.

If it is anything like the 7, there is a separate harness that can be detached from the main harness that has the turn signal and headlight plugs on it.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Okay, following your guys directions, here is the updated photo below. Now my only outstanding connections are:

1. The original black female connector on the bike (in my first 2 photos)
2. The black/yellow, brown/white coming out of the headlight that's for the "city light"
3. The black male connector in the photo

Does anybody have any confidence that if I buy a "headlight harness" of eBay that it should satisfy my missing links????:banghead

·
Premium Member
626 Posts
Okay, never suggested that the connecter should be cut off.

I have a bi-xenon headlight and it requires a connection to the battery, I'm assuming that this is to activate the solanoid.

My suggestion was to make a patch cable, plate connectors on one end which can be pushed into the female connector on the bike and female plates onto the bulb.

I also asked if there was a connector still on the headlight and also if there was somewhere that one could be purchased.

The issue comes that some of this was done in PM I guess thats why there was the confusion.

Looking at the ballest I'm thinking that it's only a single beam as there is no additional power cable. The connector I circled in light blue looks exactly like the one on my bike that the ballest connects to.

·
Premium Member
11,231 Posts
Okay, never suggested that the connecter should be cut off.

I have a bi-xenon headlight and it requires a connection to the battery, I'm assuming that this is to activate the solanoid.

My suggestion was to make a patch cable, plate connectors on one end which can be pushed into the female connector on the bike and female plates onto the bulb.

I also asked if there was a connector still on the headlight and also if there was somewhere that one could be purchased.

The issue comes that some of this was done in PM I guess thats why there was the confusion.

Looking at the ballest I'm thinking that it's only a single beam as there is no additional power cable. The connector I circled in light blue looks exactly like the one on my bike that the ballest connects to.
You do not need an additional power cable for a dual beam HID. The type that uses a solenoid to physically move the bulb only has to power one "filament" in the bulb. The only difference between a dual and single beam HID kit is in the bulb. In fact, many places that offer options only carry two different ballasts, 35w and 55w.

And I didn't say you said to cut it off, I said cutting and splicing.

·
Premium Member
626 Posts
You do not need an additional power cable for a dual beam HID. The type that uses a solenoid to physically move the bulb only has to power one "filament" in the bulb. The only difference between a dual and single beam HID kit is in the bulb. In fact, many places that offer options only carry two different ballasts, 35w and 55w.

And I didn't say you said to cut it off, I said cutting and splicing.
AS much as I respect you on here you are worng. Mine has a cable which connects to the battery with an inline fuse.

If I took the cutting comment the wrong way I'm sorry. But all I have said is to create a patch cable with plates.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts