Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

· Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I'm having real trouble with a nut.

I've changed the brake lever no probs but the clutch is proving to be a bitch!! The nut which is pictured below just keeps spinning. It doesn't loosen off it just spins on the spot, and the bolt isn't moving with it

Any suggestions on how too sort this?

Danny

· Premium Member
11,237 Posts
If the nut spins on the bolt, both are ruined. You could:

A: Cut off the end of the bolt, possibly letting you pull the nut off, or drill through the bolt/nut (carefully). Not the best idea.
B: Drill the head of the bolt off, better idea. Again, be careful.
C: Take a bolt cutter to the nut, effectively destroying the nut and the bolt. May still require extra effort to remove remaining bits.

Possibly more options, but regardless - the nut and bolt are junk. Just remember that you are working a steel bolt surrounded by aluminum. Be careful not to mangle the lever perch.

· Banned
3,604 Posts
Or drill out the center of the bolt and use an easy out or screw extractor to hold the bolt from moving. Then put vise grips on the nut and pull down at the same time you turn the bolt. I had to do this with my brake lever as it was crunchity, crispity, crackly screw..

· Premium Member
11,237 Posts
Or drill out the center of the bolt and use an easy out or screw extractor to hold the bolt from moving. Then put vise grips on the nut and pull down at the same time you turn the bolt. I had to do this with my brake lever as it was crunchity, crispity, crackly screw..
That might work, if the threads under the nut are stripped, but the rest are good... doing this would make the nut (assuming it moves "up") catch the good threads.

· Banned
3,604 Posts
Yup yup. My bolt was rusted to the lever so I had to drill and crank and drill and eventually get channelocks on what little threads I had and turn it that way.

· Premium Member
11,237 Posts
You mean the nub on the other end of the bolt? Would have to drill it like a rivet. Could potentially damage the perch, hence my warnings.

· Premium Member
11,237 Posts
Yeah thats what I mean. Unless I am mistaken, thats the top of the bolt.

· Administrator
57,861 Posts
Hold on. I'm :headscratch
Why would the threads or bolt be stripped?
Something should keep the bolt from turning. I'm guessing it's a shoulder bolt.
So that means there should be some sort of cap that needs to be removed to hold the bolt and remove the nut. Maybe there's an allen head under that cap.
Why wouldn't there be something there to hold the bolt?
I can't imagine someone tightening down that nut so hard to strip it since the outside threads look good.

· Premium Member
11,237 Posts
It could be a cap, if it is you need to drill into it in order to get a hook in and pull it out. Unless there is some other method I am unfamiliar with. Either way it has to come off.

· Premium Member
11,237 Posts
Hold on. I'm :headscratch
Why would the threads or bolt be stripped?
Something should keep the bolt from turning. I'm guessing it's a shoulder bolt.
So that means there should be some sort of cap that needs to be removed to hold the bolt and remove the nut. Maybe there's an allen head under that cap.
Why wouldn't there be something there to hold the bolt?
I can't imagine someone tightening down that nut so hard to strip it since the outside threads look good.
He said the nut was turning and the bolt wasnt, meaning stripped threads under there. I've seen it before, so I can only assume its possible.

· Administrator
57,861 Posts
I would just hold off on any drilling.
That nut had to be tightened somehow by holding that bolt.
Kawi has done some crazy things but I don't see drilling into a cap to remove it is one of them.

· Premium Member
11,237 Posts
I would just hold off on any drilling.
That nut had to be tightened somehow by holding that bolt.
Kawi has done some crazy things but I don't see drilling into a cap to remove it is one of them.
It could just be the top of the bolt, which then sets into a square notch to hold it in place.

Either way, if the nut is spinning around the bolt, one or both are damaged and need to be replaced anyways.

As for not drilling into caps, may I direct you to pilot screws on US models? But yeah, probably would hold off until there is further confirmation of this stuff.

· Administrator
57,861 Posts
It could just be the top of the bolt, which then sets into a square notch to hold it in place.Either way, if the nut is spinning around the bolt, one or both are damaged and need to be replaced anyways.

As for not drilling into caps, may I direct you to pilot screws on US models? But yeah, probably would hold off until there is further confirmation of this stuff.
you peeked

· Administrator
57,861 Posts

There are flats on the underside of the bolt to keep it from spinning.
Still find it hard to believe someone would tighten that down so hard to strip it.
Are you sure the bolt isn't spinning? Maybe those lands aren't set in place. The top of my bolt is flush with the cap.

· Premium Member
11,237 Posts
1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.