Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It seems that my bike at lower speeds (50km/h or slower) when it goes over bumps (ie. cracks in the road) tends to 'wobble'. The steering seems to be unstable, but only over bumps, it can go really slow and is fine on smooth surface. Is it possible that the front shocks could cause this? Maybe they have some defect or were improperly installed/tuned? If not, any ideas on why this happens? Im new to bikes (well riding them anyways) but my buddy isn't. He's been riding a few years, and he was the one that really noticed the instability first (he scrubbed my tires for me). I have a 2007 ZX-6R. Any help is appreciated.

Also, I can't take it to a shop to see if this is the case, as I dropped my bike. It's a mystery to me and my buddy who was right behind me. Was coming to a T-intersection, went over a crack and applied the front brake a second later (I didn't exactly notice the crack, this is what we deduced after the fact)
My steering slammed to the left, and I was down on my right a split second later. I didn't lock my front brake... by the scrub on the tire, once the steering slammed to the left, it skid a bit on the side, then left an arched skid going up the rest of the side of the tired. (That's not a good description... but best I can do. It skid for a few feet with the steering fully left, and the bike slightly tilted right, (skid starts off the center line normally used when uprght) then skid as the bike went down. Hope that helps...)
Any ideas on how I managed that crash would be welcomed also. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
4,288 Posts
sounds like your forks have been lowered, so you may need to raise the triple trees

·
Registered
990 Posts
Are your tyre pressures correct?

The first thing I would suspect is that the tyre is overinflated.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Tyre pressure was set at the shop (bike was brand new) and demonstrated in front of me that it was correct. It was the same day it crashed... seems odd to me that a brand new bike should have an issue like that.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Sorry to hear about your misfortune. It sounds like you should take it back to the dealer, as it sounds like defective assembly may be the cause of your problem. Based on what I read, Kawasaki, or the dealer who final-assembled it should be paying for repairs.

·
Registered
582 Posts
Your owner's handbook should have the stock suspension settings listed. Check them as well as any play in the steering head.
gammac

·
Registered
532 Posts
Weird!!!!! On a brand new bike ?? I know the ZX6R is a little "loose" over ripples, but to snap like that, there must be something more seriously wrong! Let them check the front fork oil levels and air pressures. I think your front forks are not the same in damping and rebound. !!

·
Registered
582 Posts
Yes like the '06 model runout x-demo I got last December. Rough on the 130km ride home. Discovered the next day that for some reason the dealer had the preload wound right off. I've found that the tar sealing strips between sections of bitumen can make the bike want to tuck in a turn.
gammac

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the replies... only question is, how would I go about proving that there was an actual problem, and that it wasn't 'caused' by the crash?
It's at the shop I bought it from right now... waiting on a crash eval. If they find something wrong with the shocks, then maybe I have a case? This just sucks... Not only did I crash it on the first day (so embarrassing) but when I called the shop they said bring it by any time. I bring it the next day, and they say I need an appointment, they are too busy (like wtf?) I got them to take it anyways, but have to wait 2 weeks before they will even LOOK at it. When I called, they didn't even mention that booking an appointment was an option. Can't sort that out with a manager either, as it was the service manager I was arguing with to take my bike. I have the worst luck in everything!...

·
Registered
60 Posts
I'd take it in immediately. Time is your enemy for being believable. Discuss the issues with them at length, bike in view. Take good photos before you take it to them so if they conflict with your story, you have proof.

Call Kawasaki Headquarters if they are not timely.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts