Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
can anyone please tell me the best way to remove the rear wheel of my 91 zx7.? it looks basic but i figured i would ask before i go and screw something up. also i wanted to take my chain completly off so i can clean it but i can not find a master link. i wouldnt think it would be the original chain. any help at all would be greatly appreciated. im new to bikes so im learning as i go:eek:hno

·
Registered
990 Posts
I assume you have a paddock stand. Get a new split pin or R clip to replace the old one on the axle nut. Once on stand find a suitable piece of wood or similar to place under the tyre, this will make it easier to pull the spindle/axle out & replace the wheel. First remove the brake caliper (& torque arm if it has one) & hang with a piece of wire or string off pillion peg. After that it's a case of taking off the main nut & pulling the axle out & removing brake plate/ spacers as you go. This above is not specific to your bike but a general guide. Check parts diagrams for your bike on http://www.buykawasaki.com/Default.asp?
click on Motorcycle & look up your model, very helpful as you can see all the parts that hold/space the wheel.

When you replace, grease up the axle & also lightly copper grease the brake bolts & between back of pads & pistons.

The chain most likely has a soft link, which is fitted with a chain riveter. Removable links are NOT recommended. You either need to find the link & remove it or remove the swinging arm to get it off. The soft link will need replacing with a new one.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thank you very much, where would i get a new link put on? and does the soft link look different from the rest of them? how do i find it. also whats good to clean a chain with? thank you very much

·
Registered
990 Posts
thank you very much, where would i get a new link put on? and does the soft link look different from the rest of them? how do i find it. also whats good to clean a chain with? thank you very much
The end of the link pins look different to the normal chain links where they have been compressed by the riveter.

Not tried to get a spare myself but I would guess any chain supplier would be able to supply one. The other way to do it is to take off the wheel but leave the sprocket carrier & chain in place & refit the axle, then you can clean the chain without worring about getting solvents on the tyre/cush rubbers.

I use kerosene & a stiff brush, but you need to dry it off quickly as prolonged contact will mess up the o rings apparently. I tried an aerosol cleaner but it was messy & not very effective.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
so when you take off or change your chain, do you remove the swing arm or do you clean yours on the bike? also if you could anser this? when you buy a new chain does it come already linked or do they give you a link to conect it yourself? thank you

·
Registered
990 Posts
so when you take off or change your chain, do you remove the swing arm or do you clean yours on the bike? also if you could anser this? when you buy a new chain does it come already linked or do they give you a link to conect it yourself? thank you
Usually clean the chain on the bike with the wheel off BUT if it ties in with greasing the swing arm & rear suspension it's easier to take the lot off & clean the chain in a suitable tray. If you don't know for sure whether the rear suspension has been greased as per maintenance schedule, now would be a good time to do it.

Chains over here seem to come with soft links for you to connect but apparently it is possible to get them endless, I guess you need to ask the supplier.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts