Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am trying to remove left side fairing and headlight fairing from my 2011 zx6r and removed all that i could see for pins and screws and bolts but this seems to be a huge PIA more than any other bike.
does anyone have any idea on the process (pics would be great)

·
Registered
870 Posts
I am trying to remove left side fairing and headlight fairing from my 2011 zx6r and removed all that i could see for pins and screws and bolts but this seems to be a huge PIA more than any other bike.
does anyone have any idea on the process (pics would be great)
Actually I can have the whole front end off in 10 minutes. It slides off in one 3-piece section (front/both sides). You need a 4mm hex, 10mm socket and a small flathead screwdriver.

First: Take both lower fairings off. Use the flathead to pop the black plastic push pin out. Use the 4mm to get the body screws out.

2) Take your mirrors off and the both inner black panels off. The panels I'm talking about are right underneath your handlebars.

3) Disconnect the connectors for your blinkers, city lights, headlights and both plugs on the rectifier (black and gray)

4) Use the 10mm socket to loosen the black 10mm screws located right under each mirror mount. Theres also 2 black push pins underneath the headlight housing. Take off the one farthest back off (closest to the triple tree). Remove the 4mm body screws on each side.

5) Take off the black panel behind the radiator and in front of the header. It should only be held in by two push pins and it pulls off from the center.

6) Pop each both side fairings from the frame. The whole 3-piece section w/ windscreen comes off when you lift it off the mirror tabs and pull back (away from the bike)

Hope this helps!

·
Registered
26 Posts
I agree, it is a PITA to do, but those are good instructions ZX6Ray. A related question, what tool do you need to remove the steering dampner? Is it just torqs head? Looks like it has to have a hole in the center of the end of it though? Need to get my tank removed and to the body shop.

Thanks.

·
Registered
870 Posts
I agree, it is a PITA to do, but those are good instructions ZX6Ray. A related question, what tool do you need to remove the steering dampner? Is it just torqs head? Looks like it has to have a hole in the center of the end of it though? Need to get my tank removed and to the body shop.

Thanks.
It's a T-40 size. Torx security bit. Home depot/Lowes etc should have them.

·
Registered
870 Posts

·
Registered
1,465 Posts
I think it's more of a guide on how to disassemble everything, but yes, you are correct, taking off the windscreen is unnecessary if you're just trying to remove the upper cowling.

-Cody

·
Premium Member
2,471 Posts
Can the upper side fairings be removed without removing lights and nosecone ?
I've only ever removed belly pan/lower fairings.

·
Registered
1,465 Posts
I just take the whole upper off as one piece and the lights come with it.
-Cody

·
HEADBANGER
6,942 Posts
Can the upper side fairings be removed without removing lights and nosecone ?
I've only ever removed belly pan/lower fairings.
no... it's all one piece... Mine is all apart at the moment if you you need pics.. lol

Basically the lowers come off... then remove the mirrors and other fairing bolts on the uppers. Next you have the bolts up by the gauge cluster. Once everything is loosened you have to pull it from the ram air and disconnect all the plugs for lights, reg/rec, etc.

Once you do it the first time you'll be able to get it off in about 10 minutes like a few others have mentioned.

·
HEADBANGER
6,942 Posts
also... you shouldn't have to remove the steering damper to get the fairing off... only to get the tank off.. and that's just a hex head bolt. No need to remove it from the other mounts really. But if you're gonna go through the trouble... I'd say BORROW that torx and replace with other bolts. Much easier from that point on... there aren't really many torx head bolts on the bike. Those are the only two I know of really. (My bike is completely torn down... well... was... and going back together now.)

·
Registered
1 Posts
I cannot STAND how they designed for these plastics to install or remove.....Can we make it a little harder please!!! i mean sh*t !! Do these really have to come off as one? my left side fairings r fine i really dont wanna screw with them.... (2011 zx-6r)

·
Registered
3 Posts
OK, I consider myself halfway intelligent, I've taken out every bolt / screw / rivet and can't seem to get the top fairings (3 pieces) off. I'm kind of being gentle with it and it's not really budging. How easily should this slip off or do I have to wrestle with it a little, write up says, don't force anything

·
Registered
888 Posts
taking it off is the easy part..

sliding the Mid as whole is the biotch!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts