Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone help. I'm fitting my newly purchased TomTom Rider2. I'm physically fitting it using the RAM stem mount as per on of the earlier posts (looks really good). I'm wiring it to the accessory wires under the left front panel. The bikes wires are black and black/yellow which according to the handbook are 'pos' and 'neg' respectively. The TomTom wiring harness comes with black and red wires with no mention as far as I can see of which is 'pos' and which is 'neg'.

Can any one tell me which should be connected to which or doesn't it matter? Thanks.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Red is Pos, Black is neg. Best put a multimeter across the bike wires to check they ar ecorrect polarity. You do NOT want to connect them the wrong way round.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Red is Pos, Black is neg. Best put a multimeter across the bike wires to check they ar ecorrect polarity. You do NOT want to connect them the wrong way round.
Thanks Chris. That's really confusing though. Itmeans I need to connect red (of TomTom)to balck and black (of TomTom) to black/yellow. I've actually done it the other way round but not plugged the TomTom in yet so It looks as though I'll need to change it

·
Registered
451 Posts
Gary,
These aux leads power up when the ignition is switched on. You should really connect the GPS directly to the battery terminals via a suitable inline fuse, if the power leads don't come with one already, so that the unit remains on after you turn the ignition off. You can always turn the unit on and off from the display. This means that you will not have to search for satellites and a position fix every time you stop for coffee, fuel, leak etc.

You are very wise to be so cautious
You will do irreversible damage to the unit if you connect those wires the wrong way round.
Both sets of Aux wires are the same so:
The Black/yellow lead (male end) is NEGATIVE
The Thick Black lead (female end) is POSITIVE

·
Registered
228 Posts
the bullet connector that is shrouded with a cover is the positive, the naked bullet connector is the negative, its fine to connect it that way due to the tomtom having an internal battery that lasts more than 5 hours so unless you stop for a very long coffee you'll be fine. Although to be honest if you leave the bike at all I would heartilly recommend putting the tomtom in a pannier or it wont be there when you come back!

So to summarise the red tomtom wire goes to the shrouded bullet!

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
All fitted and working well. Thanks to everyone who responded. Real benefit of the online GTR community.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts