Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i just bought a 2005 zx10r w/8500 miles, when it runs for 10-15 minutes it shoots coolant out of the overflow hose, what would cause this my thoughts are the thermastat not opening, or the head gasket and thoughts would be appreciated. THe bike starts right up and no other issues...thanks for any answers

·
Premium Member
4,271 Posts
might be the thermo.... is your fan kicking in??

·
Premium Member
11,231 Posts
sure its not just over filled?

My truck spent 500 miles puking coolant at every stop because the coolant tank was over filled. As soon as I shut the engine off (meaning no fan) the coolant temp went up from sitting in the hot block and then presto, coolant all over the ground at whatever gas station I was stopped at.

·
Premium Member
4,271 Posts
+1 the only time this has happend to me was when overfilled......

edit <<< >>> that was my 9 .... first water cooled bike I had owned... overfilled in the dark

·
Premium Member
11,231 Posts
Its a trip when you stop the truck and hear the radiator pinging from the boiling coolant forcing its way through the system to the tank in order to overflow.

It was like 110 degrees that day though and I had just literally drove up a mountain at a 30 degree angle though. I imagine the engine was way hotter than its typically designed to handle for any length of time. Didnt have coolant boiling at any of the gas stations, just when I made it to the top of the mountain and into the driveway.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
no i don't think it's because it's overfilled, i put water in it up to the low mark on the overflow tank then i ran the bike on the stand for 5-6 minutes then it did it again.

·
Premium Member
4,271 Posts
I've never run water ... allways coolant as the boil temp is a lot higher..... and it wont corrode the water paths

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i only ran water because i wanted to see if it would do it again, i'll drain the water out and get some coolant only used the water because i did not have any coolant on hand, does anyone know how to check the thermostat to see if it works .

·
Premium Member
4,271 Posts
check the cap first for perished rubber and or a weak spring .... might be as easy as replacing the cap..... I'm very doubtfull it will be the thermo

·
Premium Member
13,143 Posts
You probably need to burp the air out of the system. As long as there's a pocket of air in there somewhere, it will continue to overheat and blow juice out the overflow. Check your manual for the procedure for your machine.

Mine involves opening up the cap and watching for flow, keeping it topped up, squeezing hoses, opening bleeders and even removing one of the bolts on the water pump to get all the air out.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
i'm going to try to bleed the air out of the system tomorrow when i can get the time to do it thank you for your answers i'll let you know if it works thanks

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
Look if the hose is well attached to the thermostat housing, because it's positioned right below the cap. Tight the bracket/embracer/clamp or whatever keeps the hose in place. If tight, inspect the hose end if its not ruptured or cracked.

·
Premium Member
3,324 Posts
You probably need to burp the air out of the system. As long as there's a pocket of air in there somewhere, it will continue to overheat and blow juice out the overflow. Check your manual for the procedure for your machine.

Mine involves opening up the cap and watching for flow, keeping it topped up, squeezing hoses, opening bleeders and even removing one of the bolts on the water pump to get all the air out.
Had a long exchange going back and forth with TD regarding similar issue on my zx1000. Thought I was doing something wrong. Then a friend and I went OCD and bled it 6 or 7 times from the water pump bleed hole and up at the stat.
That finally solved, the overheating and the fluid dripping out of the overflow every time I stopped.

Give it a number of good bleeds.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
i have bleed the system and put new coolant in, and i have bleed the air at the water pump yet at around 190 deg the coolant start to build up in the overflow so i shut it off before it sprays out again, what am i doing wrong.

·
Premium Member
13,143 Posts
Is coolant being returned to the motor from the catch tank? If not, the tank will overfill and the excess will flow out the overflow tube.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
now when it's at idle the coolant fillsl up the overflow bottle then when i ride it the coolant gets sucked back into the engine, temp runs perfect then when i shut the bike off, the overflow bottle fills up almost to the top, and as fast as it fills the coolant then gets sucked all back out, i ordered a radiator cap we'll see if that solves it

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
i had a zx7 with a 9 motor and it gave me a ton of overheating problems. incl headgasket etc. and it would spit out of overflow hose.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
got a new radiator cap, i rode the bike for 40min then when i shut it off, coolant still sprayed out but just a little, temp was perfect while riding it, it's better but still not right, i may just have to take it to a shop.

·
Registered
35 Posts

agreed ! thats what i was thinking

1 - 20 of 25 Posts