Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
IM having a hard time getting the rear fuel tank bracket for my 91zx11 c mod.It is said that it is not available from kaw,so i ordered one off of the internet from cycles R us ,and the wrong one was sent , after the first attempt went to the wrong address ! One month total and counting:banghead !Trying to make all this right!We have all the proper vin numbers,and i have the right tank, same from 90-93(had to order off of the net also,due to rust)does anyone know how the rear mounts to the frame?Its been two months dealing with this back and forth bull....!:runaway My mechanic needed to take my bike for a test run after my motor rebuild, but this is the hold up. now he has gave up on me ,and my bike,but i still have to deal with this issue, also he said there was some hesitation in my carb,maybe the pilot jets!Now i have to deal with this on my own!so hopefully the forum can help.Going to get my bike in the a.m. Ive got to ride this year!:banghead

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
I have a friend that lives nearby who does all kinds of restoration work on older bikes... and actually owns a ZX11. I believe that he is also on here occasionally.

I can tell him to check this thread, or even ask him if I can give you his email address and he can help you out. I'm sure there is a wealth of knowledge on here that can help you with your 11 (I've never had one), but it sounds like you're in a hurry.

I've emailed him as this is being written... telling him to check the thread, and I'll also ask him if I can provide you with his email in a PM.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My thanks!

Thanks swoosh,yes im ready to ride, ive spent alot of money on my basket case of a bike ,but now its ready except for these petty little details.Whoever said "Good things come to those who wait" tell them im tired of waiting!:rotflmao

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
91zx11 c mod tank.

(Rear tank bracket):eek:ne more thing related to this problem. In the worst case,if by chance when i ordered my fuel tank ,they sent me the wrong tank for a 90 zx 1000 would this work? Ive got one of the forum members red 90 zx 1000 on my screan saver and the tank looks simular!When i see my bike ill have to check the tank #rs.:eek:hno Help!

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If this isn't worked out for you by this afternoon I'll take a few pics of mine for you.............
1990zx11,that would be realy be appreciated on my end ! Ive got the exploaded view of the tank from my clymers book,however nothing showes the frame under the seat.How it actually mounts up,and my bike for now,is two miles away from me with a mechanic thats too busy to talk on the phone!Its 7am.and i was out side getting my trailer ready in order to go and get my bike,and i had a thought to come and check the forum,and sure enough,one of the great zx11 riders has come through again!:mfclap

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello.
The gas tank needs to slide in by the battery box bracket.If you have the right tank you sould have no problem there.
To secure it you need to take the tail section panels off and then you will notice that you have room through the frame to get to the bolts.You have one 6mm bolt on each side .Lift the tank slightly and insert the bolt and then tighten it up on each side.
I took some pictures so if you want to see them please send me an email and i will send them, to you ASAP.
Swoosh had introduced me in this thread so here I am.
My email is [email protected]
My mobile phone number is 519-574-0517:clap

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Thanks Alex.

Hope to see you soon at the usual place. Away from the 13-22 though.

·
Registered
161 Posts
here's the pics...
this is my tank

from the back

seat off

close up

it bolts in through these holes under the side plastic

Hope this helps..........

·
Registered
9 Posts
sorry could get the photos to work but go to bikebandit.com and look up zx11 in 1991 you will love it . i will call a yard here and see if he has the bracket
and check back after work . troy

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Tank Bracket!

:banghead I Went to pick up my bike tuesday morning,(two hour drive)and before i did i looked on the forum,and you guys had helped me in a bigg way with your support.When i arrived, first thing i did was pull my side covers apart,and BEHOLD-my original tank bracket was mounted onto my frame:M16 Bruce my mechanic blamed it on his incompitent assistant that he was paying to help around the shop,he was fired a week ago!So we mount the tank,get the bike off of the lift,put fuel intank to start,and fuel runs all over my new paint and rebuilt motor!(his helper hadent tightened up the fuel send unit!!!:banghead So..fix this prob..re=assemble to start,and bike runs like crap!Carbs had sat for over a month while i was waiting on ordered parts <tank filter>&the $40Bracket that i didnt need!He pulled the carbs and cleaned,reinstalled and she Purrrrrred so pretty:clap bruce and i ended on a good note!we also wrote a list of parts i need for my air boxx 4boots that mount to carbs/front (Seat) bracket etc.told me how to break in the bike and when to change the oil!im off lookin 4parts again!c8ya:mfclap

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Running again!

thanks im running again,and i have my bike at home,thats a start!I had to order the boots for my air box and some other things before i can ride Its still on my trailer in my garage.When i left the shop with my bike strapted down sucurely,i left and got on the highway, and later after an exit change my bike fell over in my trailer,i stopped and was trying to pick it up, and the state troop stoped to help me,and we strapped it down again!It turns out that the kick stand bolts werent screwed in tight!:devil Only two threads into the bolt wer stripped out! Now my new paint job needs touched up!:angry Also my break fluid is leaking from the right side,and i have a motor leak comming from some where in the middle leaving a puddle of oil !Im pulling off my ferrings to degrease and put some dye in the oil <2 use a blacklight>so i know what is what!Going to call my mechanic to see if he can make all this right,his helper shouldnt have touched my bike!I spent over $5000.00 with him!:respect Other things might not be torqued on the bike breaks etc.DANGEROUS! Any suggestions?N D help

·
Registered
88 Posts
yeah i think i would call him and see what he could do, for the money you spent with him he should make good.:scared

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
There was a bolt that was sapposed to be metric and someone along the way put a standard bolt in a spot where there is contact with oil,he told me this was a problem that he was trying to fix with out taking out the motor again after his rebuild.Some kind of hardner he put on the bolt head.He said he did a dye test and it was good! Im in the garage tonite to clean it up to see! ive got drippedge on the left side dripping down from the left side of the carb somewhere.The break fluid has bubbled up the paint on my trailer floor.But the other drippage hasnt.Time to play perry mayson/Mattlock.

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Wow brother...sounds like quite the ordeal. Keep us posted on what's happening.

I have to ask though... if your bike fell over in the trailer because your kickstand fell out... how did you have the bike strapped? I have towed 100's of motorcycles (used to drive flatbed towtruck) and never had one fall over, and never used a kickstand to hold up a bike in tow.

For future reference, you need to push the front tire up against the front of the trailer, and cross strap the top of the shock towers until they compress right down.

Doing this in this manner will securely hold the bike, and unless you're really worried about it, you don't even require rear strapping. I've done sport bikes and Harley's alike in this manner.

Hope everything gets better for you and you get out on the road again soon. Post some pics of that bad boy thats giving you trouble.

·
Registered
161 Posts
For future reference, you need to push the front tire up against the front of the trailer, and cross strap the top of the shock towers until they compress right down.

Doing this in this manner will securely hold the bike, and unless you're really worried about it, you don't even require rear strapping. I've done sport bikes and Harley's alike in this manner.

I, likewise have towed a ton of bikes like this and it is the safest and really the easiest way to tow all types of bikes.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts