Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The evil ghosts of my machine have struck again :angry, after rebuilding the carbs, changing all the fluids and filters, changing sparkplugs, flushing and cleaning the gas tank, and replacing all the fuel lines, the bike will start and run great!!!as long as the battery is 100% charged, problem is, the battery is constantly being drained by something, :headscratch

if it sits off for more then 20 minutes the battery is too drained to start the bike.

its not the battery, this is the 3rd brand new battery I have tried thinking it is a faulty battery, technically it could be, but odds of having 3 brand new faulty batteries is very unlikely.

... i also added underglow and a fender eliminator... it is not the underglow, it is wired to a little 12v moped battery, completely separate from the main battery.

is there something that usually goes out in an 18 year old bike? there are so many possibilities as what could be draining it i'm wondering where to start looking. :banghead:banghead:banghead

·
Registered
3,620 Posts
If it can drain the battery in 20 mins then its big wire country... Disconnect the starter and the rotor/stator. After 20-30 mins reconnect everthing and if the battery still has juice to crank the bike and start it, then you have reduced the culprits down to 2.

My thoughts is that the rotor/stator wire binding has a direct short to ground.

·
Premium Member
4,944 Posts
If it can drain the battery in 20 mins then its big wire country... Disconnect the starter and the rotor/stator. After 20-30 mins reconnect everthing and if the battery still has juice to crank the bike and start it, then you have reduced the culprits down to 2.

My thoughts is that the rotor/stator wire binding has a direct short to ground.
+1

What he said, see where that gets ya.

Where in Florida are ya?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I go to UF in gainesville and live on campus, there is no garage for my motorcycle, just a parking lot to work on the bike. my roommate hates me for taking apart the carburetor in the dormroom, I got a warning by the RA for bringing carb cleaner inside...:lol

·
Premium Member
4,944 Posts
I go to UF in gainesville and live on campus, there is no garage for my motorcycle, just a parking lot to work on the bike. my roommate hates me for taking apart the carburetor in the dormroom, I got a warning by the RA for bringing carb cleaner inside...:lol
Did you ever resolve your issue?

I live up near Green Cove Springs, about an hour or so from you......maybe one day we could meet up and go for a ride! :smile

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I went to walmart and got a battery disconnector thingy (can be seen here http://www.walmart.com/ip/Everstart-SWAN-Terminal-Disconnect/16006670 ) and wired it from the battery, using a 2gauge wire, to under the seat, I just disconnect the battery each time after use. It works well, a little annoying at times, but it works. I'm still trying to find the cause of the original drain. The alternator is working well and keeping it charged, ill post the results if and when I find whats wrong.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I am reviving the old thread but I've had similar issues on an old bike and on a few cars as well.
Normally I would simply remove the fuses one by one while measuring the battery with a DVOM. When you pull out the fuse and the drainage stops - you know you've detected the faulty circuit, then you concentrate on finding the issue on that circuit.

this strategy never let me down ;)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts