Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I need to double check with folks. When my C-14 goes on "reserve", the upper half of my display goes away. It goes to the "Low Fuel" flash Pump Icon state. I want to see "range" to help guide me to the next reasonable gas stop. I cant get the display to go away!!! It's very frustrating.

Prepare for rant!!

What was Kawi engineers thinking? All these warning bits for a bike designed to appeal to very experienced rider. What were they thinking?? There is a gas guage. There is a blinking LCD. How much do you need to warn people. Why can't you do something very simple as "flick on a simple yellow LED" and call it a day! G*d its frustrating.

Rant off

So I'm told the programing on the ZX14 LCD display can make it go away. I have not found that sequence of button events.

I push the top button. I hold the top button. I hold the button for a long time. I hold both buttons. I tap out SOS "S" on the top button, "O" on the bottom button.

Please Please help the stupid !!! Any C-14 owners made it go away?

·
Registered
368 Posts
Uhhhh, put fuel in it? :crazyloco

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think I answered my own question. I just finished up a trip to Vail this weekend and had the bike go on reserve again. I figured this would give me a chance to try and clear the annoying "LOW FUEL" / Pump ICON. The bike went on reserve just out side of Vail on I70. I'm cruising through the mountains doing my finger gymnastics on the dashboard trying to remember. Was it push the bottom button then the top? Top followed by the bottom? Both at the same time? All the time I carving corners at 80 MPH. Not good. I finally find the right combination. A big red idiot light turns on. Then I discovered something.

So lets say we are on a long trip in unfamiliar territory and you are running out of gas. You just finished the finger gymnastics on the dash and what do you think you will look for next?

Is it – Battery level? – NO
Is it – Tire pressure? – NO
Is it – Current MPG? – No it is bouncing all over every 5 seconds.
Is it – average MPG? – Maybe

What do I want? RANGE!! It's not there!!! I only have the warning message of "LOW FUEL" Bloody Hell!!! The amazingly cool feature of range becomes completely useless!! Instead I have my Nth warning message of something I already know! I have a Bright Red light burning a hole in my retina telling me I have low fuel. I have blinking blocks on the LCD fuel gauge telling me I have low fuel. I have a HUGE message "LOW FUEL" telling me I need gas, but I need to know how far can I go on this tank???

So I ended up going "old school" and reset one of the trips to track distance since going on reserve. I push the tank another 35 miles before I find a gas station. Here is my record of gas mileage over my first 3 tanks with Computer MPG reading an %delta error.

Miles Gallons MPG Computer Computer
..........................MPG.......Error
207.6 ..4.75 ...43.75 ..43.20 ....-1%
229.1 ..5.23 ...43.80 ..44.90 .... 2%
241.6 ..5.44 ...44.43 ..45.00 .... 1%

Totals
678.3 15.4 44.008 MPG

OH well, back to work so I can pay for this beast.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Thanks for humor trip Scooter! :crazyloco

1 - 5 of 5 Posts