Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Fuel tank Tire Wheel Automotive lighting Automotive fuel system

What year is my donor engine? 99? KH1 isn't upside down, jug says 599, both jug and head gaskets are MLS, stator cover isn't louvered andis not stamped with anything other than MG, both side covers are polished as well. How does this timing chain tensioner work,??? there is no bolt in the middle. Does the black plastic thingy on the timing chain side of the motor have to go on the motor? I don't see the point. Is the timing advance adjustable? Are the cam sprockets adjustable? Anything else I need to know to not trash the new engine?
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Hood Automotive lighting Rim
Automotive tire Hood Tread Tire Automotive lighting

2nd pic is original engine

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
I'm pretty sure it's a 99. Found out from examination that its been marked by a machine shop as being 2mm overbore. So I cleaned it up with a pressure washer and painted the valve cover and made some stickers and clear coated over them.
I'm cutting the spare exhaust off at the collector and installing an oil catch can. Oil separator question... does that system function as positive crankcase ventilation or is it just there? I have heard of using block off plates, is that a bad idea?
I've read mixed opinions about the block off plates.

Hood Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design Vehicle

Land vehicle Fuel tank Tire Automotive fuel system Motorcycle

Automotive tire Hood Motor vehicle Aircraft Alloy wheel

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Block off plates are used when someone removes the emissions system. With a 2mm overbore; a performance mod; you're not worried about meeting emissions standards IMO.
Awesome sauce. Thanks. Now I know that I only have the one crankcase vent on the transmission to worry about. Time to fabricate some more stuff :)
I'm between super light streetfighter vs or aiming for something like the original zxrr track bike that went squirrelly and crashed in lap 7 at the motegi twin ring back in 2002. Definitely not concerned with emissions, already chopped the exhaust at the end of the collector, building a custom intake system that will actually enclose the carbs, also going to port match and polish the intake side of things, someone else already cleaned the ports up a little, but there's a lot of room left for improvement. I'm aiming for 117hp at the wheel. Top speed increases are wanted

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Cv carbs or flat slides(fcr)? Also, what about cams? I have mixed information on port and polish vs. port only. Ignition advancer? What exhaust are you running?
CV carbs rejetted by the previous owner of the donor engine. Cams are unknown, I'm assuming that they milled the head a little and let it be, ignition cover is coming off today so I'll know more later.
Exhaust is a spare stock unit chopped off at the collector, running open header dumping out in front of the back wheel, under the bike, same as my buell and my xs850.

Tensioner fitted shows it's a G Model as it's the old snail type pre conversion.
Also the end cap and seal is missing so it will leak oil when running.

Will the 2008 tensioner work in its place? I guess I'll find out today. Thanks for letting me know what's missing.
I've read you never polish the intake on a motorcycle. They're intentionally dimpled and rough to so that atomized gas doesn't deposit on them. Myth? BS? I have no idea, just something to look into before you pull the trigger.
I was wondering how that would affect atomization. I guess this is why the injectors are mounted in the airbox away from the throttle plate on the Fuel Injected Kawasaki motogp bikes

1 - 5 of 5 Posts