Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my girls bike keeps running hot its a 98 zx9 . I have changed the thermostat. the fan is on a toggle switch that did not help so i changed the radiator off my 99 zx9 which did not run hot before i crashed it . i pulled the waterpump houseing and the impeller spins . what else is there to check or change . I cant ride no more till i fix her bikr im damn sure not getting out of the yard on mine with hers broke please help

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i dont now for sure if is right now but it wasnt running hot and it started running hot with out changeing anything

·
Registered
9,979 Posts
By 'running hot,' what do you mean? What temp is hot and under what conditions? It could be you're riding in city stop-and-go and it's getting warmer out. That would be normal for it to run seemingly hotter.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
sitting in the yard running for 20 min.t dont get hot get on the road and start rideing it gets hot in 15min when i say hot i mean in the yellow and if you dont stop its in the red in no time

·
Registered
74 Posts
So its getting hot while idling in the driveway? Well, when your riding it, the wind obviously pulls the heat away from the motor and also cools the antifreeze and such.
However, still sitting in your driveway it shouldn't be overheating. Although I dont think Ive ever let mine idle for over 20 minutes without moving. And the fans are working and on?

·
Premium Member
3,675 Posts
I have a 99 zx9r 28k and mine has been running hot as well and it does not run smooth when it does. I am not sure what the temp is but on the digital gauge it runs average of 4 to 5 bars in the summer. I got the bike in 2010 and it ran great. End of last 2011 it was running hot and was not smooth. 2 times in 2011 I ran it dry and did not mean too. Thursday last week I noticed the 1&4 exhaust pipes coming off the engine were red hot. Also at 4500 rpms it will bog down. I cannot afford the price at the local bike shop. I have a Haynes repair manual. I am looking into checking the sync on the carbs and the resetting the screws once I find out how. I do not know much about bikes but I am going to school to be a diesel mechanic but I learn fast. If you could help me I would be jumping for joy. Gas is $4 at the pump.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Motorcycle.com App

·
Premium Member
13,120 Posts
Make sure to burp all the air our of the coolant or you'll never get it to run cool. Check your shop manual for the procedure-there are bleeders, hoses must be squeezed and sometimes you have to remove a screw from the waterpump housing to get all the air out of the system.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts