Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What do I do, step by step, to change the steering bearings & seals? Dealer is asking $300 to do the work, so I wanna save $300 and do it myself if it's not too tricky!

Special tools, grease, ???

Really would like to do a perfect job myself, too difficult? Help!

Thanks.

·
Registered
990 Posts
Basics are usually:
C spanner required to remove nut under top yoke
Replace bearings with taper rollers if they were originally roller

Procedure:
Either prop or suspend front of bike
Remove top yoke & any stuff attached to it
Remove nut with C spanner
Drop forks (with or without front wheel) from steering head
Drift out old bearings
Replace with new bearings (greased) putting new bearings in freezer for a while & warming the steering head just before should allow bearings to drop in without too much effort
Replace forks etc....

The manual will give specifics for bike but it is a straightforward procedure with a few fiddly bits especially removong top yoke.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you very much gentlemen, this is a great start. But what's a yoke?

Also, the photo quality was pretty poor in the steering chapter in the manual pages. Do you have something clearer, easily within reach that you could post up (just the photos)?

Again, thank you very much. Any more information on this procedure is definitely welcome.

·
Registered
990 Posts
The yokes are the castings the hold the 2 fork legs onto the steering head stem. The top yoke would be the upper fork holder. Yoke is the term us older guys use for the upper & lower fork holders.

Look up http://www.buykawasaki.com/Default.asp? then click on Motorcycle, then your bike model & look up parts diagrams. Look up forks & check out the parts that make them up. If you are a newbie to doing anything to your bike, the parts diagrams are an excellent starting point for sussing what is what on the bike.

My description for doing the job was a bit simplistic (+ it was 3am here) BUT I would thoroughly recommend getting (or borrowing) a workshop manual if you are going to do any maintenance over & above the general day to day stuff, especially if you have not done the job before.

If you want more info just ask, there are plenty of us around more than willing to help out.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Ha d a result from EBAY the whole lot came to £75, so just need to get it all fittd now.

How hard are the top yokes to change?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts