Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
heyyy guys! ok, I previously owned an 08 zx6 that we put pp 2cts on... at low speeds it had an annoying wobble, but I topped it out many times and it was smooth at the top speeds... now I have an 07 zx6 with 6000 miles, on the stock tires it felt great; just installed a new front PP2ct and now I am having a violent headshake starting at about 120... I mean almost to the point of tank slapping (if I were to keep pushing it)... both my 08 and this one had dyna beads in the tires (which we have used on about 10 sportbikes, and they have been great from 0-top speeds every time)... so in short, what do you think could be causing this? we have checked the air pressure, tightened the steering stem... ect... but it is truly baffling!! any advice welcome and thanks so much!! :)

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
If it just started when you installed the new tires, my best bet is gonna be that the front wasn't balanced properly. So go back to whoever put the tire on and have them take the wheel off and check that it's properly balanced.

·
Registered
6,382 Posts
:smileyou could give this a try. It's free.
Loosen the fork pinch bolts & triple tree pinch bolts. Loosen the Axle nut too. You are just looking to make everything a little loose. Bounce the forks rather aggressively while holding the front brake. the forks may line themselves up better when you re-torque all these bolts. i't possible you may have an untrue or out of round tire, but not likely. I think the front end could just be a little out of alignment.

A tank slapper at 120 would be scary as hell. Could be disastrous.
you must be one of the "dirty girls":smile

Welcome

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks!

@ clark: Thanks! that same process you described is what we do on our motocross bikes, everytime we re-install a wheel, forks, tires, ect. Good idea! sooo I will tell my hubby we need to give it a try on the street bike, and I will let you know how it works out as soon as stops raining! :) thanks again!

·
Registered
10,439 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Glad to see see another new member!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Hopefully im not the only one on here that is stoked to hear about a chick topping out her zx6... good on ya!!! on another note sounds like a balance issue cuz ive had my 07 zx6 to 165 and didnt start getting any shake or front end lift till about 150-155ish...

·
Banned
3,608 Posts
If I ever get to Bama I'd love to ride with you guys. I ride an 89 ZX7 that seems to pulling on a lot of bikes here lately. I wonder if the bike has more power that it should hehe.

·
Premium Member
13,120 Posts
Dyna-Beads don't work as well with tires that have textured inside surfaces and Michelins definitely fit that description. Remove them and have the tire properly balanced and the shake will disappear.

·
Premium Member
4,271 Posts
dyna-beads don't work as well with tires that have textured inside surfaces and michelins definitely fit that description. Remove them and have the tire properly balanced and the shake will disappear.
+1

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
just wanted to update :) we did exactly as you suggested Clark and it is much better, now I don't feel a wobble until about 140... but it's still much better than 120 :) Secondly, I don't think my PC3 is tuned right. I have a muzzy exhaust and a K&N air filter, but I can't find a map for a muzzy slip on... any advice? I am thinking of using the yoshi slip on map... hmmmm... anyways, thanks for all the help and advice! :)

·
Registered
1 Posts
tire flat spot check ur whole tire front and back flat spot can do that

heyyy guys! ok, I previously owned an 08 zx6 that we put pp 2cts on... at low speeds it had an annoying wobble, but I topped it out many times and it was smooth at the top speeds... now I have an 07 zx6 with 6000 miles, on the stock tires it felt great; just installed a new front PP2ct and now I am having a violent headshake starting at about 120... I mean almost to the point of tank slapping (if I were to keep pushing it)... both my 08 and this one had dyna beads in the tires (which we have used on about 10 sportbikes, and they have been great from 0-top speeds every time)... so in short, what do you think could be causing this? we have checked the air pressure, tightened the steering stem... ect... but it is truly baffling!! any advice welcome and thanks so much!! :)
Sitting in a garage also check forks that the r not slipping down uneven forks can also do that

·
Registered
6 Posts
If you experiencing a wobble, here are the things to check:

1.) head bearings
2.) wheel bearings
3.) rotor runout
4.) tire balance
5.) wheel runout

Good luck, p.s. you won't keep your license for long doing 140 mph on public roads ;)

·
Registered
26 Posts
this may be a foolish question, but the front end geometry on your bike may have changed when switching to PP. Try taking out some preload on the forks to lower the front a few millimeters and see if the extra front bias will help with the wobbles.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Don't worry until you see a helicopter and then find somewhere to hide...a warrant is pretty hard to get in the middle of the night...especially, if your bike disappears...just sayin...

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
ok, so I'm reaaaaaaaaaaaally bad about updating stuff, but wanted to let everyone know that status of this topic! after taking out dyna beads, changing front tires, ect and none of that working, we put a new pilot power rear on, voila! no more headshake! went 159 today perfectly smooth and stuck to the road like glue! ahhhhh, I feel so much better! :)

·
Banned
3,608 Posts
Glad you got it figured out.. I swear I learn something new everyday!

·
Registered
383 Posts
@ clark: Thanks! that same process you described is what we do on our motocross bikes, everytime we re-install a wheel, forks, tires, ect. Good idea! sooo I will tell my hubby we need to give it a try on the street bike, and I will let you know how it works out as soon as stops raining! :) thanks again!
Where in AL are ya'll from? Im live in Huntsville.. if you are close maybe I can ride with your crew one time.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Contrary to what everyone thinks our tires do not need to be balanced because how are wheels are made and set up there is no need to be balanced. MotoGP and SBK bikes wheels are never balanced. shops just do it to humor consumers.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts