Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Help,

I have been plagued with an idle problem since the beginning of the year. I have removed the carbs and cleaned, blown air thru them, and adjusted them. Here are the symptoms.

It idles with the choke on.
Won't idle above 1100 RPM with the idle speed ajuster cranked then eventually stalls.
Above 1500 RPM to redline, runs like a champ, no noticeable problems.
Plugs look good and fire consistently.
Plugs 1 and 3 were a little carboned up, not sure if this was a result of idling in the garage trying to isolate the problem.
Runs the same with any fuel tank.

If I don't figure this out, I might have to resort to bringing it to the shop... :eek:hno

Thanks in advance,

Andre

·
Registered
9 Posts
Are you 100% positive the pilots are clear?

Same thing happened to me, and my pilots weren't clear (even after I cleaned the carbs).

Push the nozzle/straw thing of the carb cleaner onto the end of the pilots and spray through the jet itself. Do not use wire brushes on the pilots.

If that doesnt help, I'd say do a compression check, that will let you know if your valves are sealing.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, I just took the carbs apart and made sure I THOROUGHLY cleaned them out and blew out ever nook and cranny with compressed air. Then I figured I might as well check the valves and all of them were in tolerance except for an exhaust valve on cylinder #4... It had .001" of tolerance. After I saw this, I adjusted all of the valves at mid-spec. I am not positive if the out fof spec exhaust valve or the carburetor cleaning or both fixed the problem but it runs like a champ now. Might I add that with http://ivanperformanceproducts.com/ jet kit, man does the bike run good off idle up to redline. That is as compared to Dynojet's kit.
Thanks for all of the help,
Andre

·
Registered
14 Posts
Are you 100% positive the pilots are clear?

Same thing happened to me, and my pilots weren't clear (even after I cleaned the carbs).

Push the nozzle/straw thing of the carb cleaner onto the end of the pilots and spray through the jet itself. Do not use wire brushes on the pilots.

If that doesnt help, I'd say do a compression check, that will let you know if your valves are sealing.

Yup sounds like the Pilot Jets are clogged. I had my pilots cleaned and the bike runs fine now.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts