Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, im new to the forum and pretty new to mechanical stuff even though i have been riding for over 5 seasons. yesterday the bike would not start so i had to jump it... i then took it for about an hour spin to try to charge up the battery, when i stoped i tried to start it again and nothing.

The battery is new this year (March) and i have never had problems like this before. The characteristics of the bike when it was running yesterday is that it was looking like a dead battery. So i am assuming that it is the alternator and it is not charging the bike when running.

I understand that i need to buy a volt meter to see if this is truly the problem which i suspect it is.. can someone help me out and let me know what reading i should get when applying the volt meter and also how do i adjust the belt on the alternator if it has come lose. if possible could someone attach a diagram of the alternator and what needs to be done that could be great! as it will be the first time looking into this.

Thanks!
I am a 20 year old stranded motorcycle enthusiast haha!

·
Registered
7,363 Posts
i turn 20 today and i also have a 90 zx7 obviously lol!!!

take off the seat.
take the voltmeter and touch battery terminals.... get your reading, good charge is around 12.4 to 12.5 i think
then turn on the bike and check again, if the reading is around 13.4 to 14.5 your alternator works.. if its still low it does not lol..

also check the alternator wires and ground!!!! that solved my issue when i got stranded

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yeah i checked the grounds and the wires, i am going to strip the bike down tonight and double check all the wires and check out the volt meter readings, if this is the problem. How do i adjust my alternator/generator belt without ripping it all apart, also if this is the problem does this mean its time for a new alternator?

·
Registered
7,363 Posts
i think it could also be the internal "Brushes" maybe or something like that .. i have a service manual for mine it came in very handy... before tearing into it check the meter like i said and if the readings are off you know it has something to do with the alternator...

·
Registered
13 Posts
No, you just pull the tank and air box if you have to , to access the connector. You may need to take off the clutch cylinder next to it to access one of the alt bolts. Theres 3. The one up top you may only get a box wrench to get it loose, the other is easy, then you'll have to wiggle it out of there. The 95 i had to take off the clutch cylinder, (2 8mm bolts) and the coolant hose to the radiator to get it out and back in. I had to replace the rectifier in it.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I have the same bike and problem, did u figure it out? My generator reads 14.20 to 14.5 when running and 12.5 when off, but still won't start if i shut it off after it's ran for awhile! I ordered a new battery? I don't know if it's from my hid lights, bad factory ground?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts