Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, so I get a new bike and my old helmet needs to be replaced as it is just plain white and smells. I bought this when I raced because I didn't care about graphics all I cared about was safety. My current helmet is an Arai rx-7 2001 vintage.

I like to research things so off I went on the internet looking for reviews of helmets, any brand would do as long as it was snell and DOT approved with good air flow. I looked at Arai, Shoei, HJC, KBC, Suomy, Shark etc.... KBC had some great designs with good reviews (higher end helmets). HJC ditto to KBC. I know I like Arai and Shoei as I have owned and crashed both of them.

After doing research I went to a few shops trying on different types and models. What i found was very disappointing to me. The KBC, HJC's don't fit me at all. I had to go to a XXL to even get them over my head! The reviews said the lining material was top notch, soft and easy on the forehead and cheeks. I thought it was horrible! The Suomy was way to small in any size. I couldn't get a large enough size! I would have to believe with the Suomy I couldn't afford it anyway. I liked the HJC AC-12, but none of the shops had it in stock for me to try on. So I am back to Arai or Shoei. I love both of them, but getting them discounted is unheard of. I've checked eBay and everything is heavily discounted except Arai, Shoei and Suomy. I really like the Shoei Haga red/silver flames and the Arai Akira Yanagawa, but I don't want to pay 500.00 bucks. I guess white will have to do:rolleyes

I just wanted to bitch today.....:rant Sorry!

·
Registered
264 Posts
Finding the right helmet is a pain...sometimes literally! One persons opinion of a helmet might be different from somebodies else's opinion cause everybodies heads are different. Personally, I am running the HJC AC12 Axis and Icon's Mainframe Subhuman. Good luck in your search.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I just checked out the AFX web site (I had not heard of this helmet before now) and they aren't snell approved. Nice looking graphics and the price is certainaly attractive. I am going to hold out until I can try the HJC AC-12

·
Registered
6 Posts

I got it two weeks ago for 90€ at local store, I'm waiting for the black tinted visor now, anyway, they had some big sale but as much as i know IXS has nice prices, and the helmet itself is great.

IXS website

·
Registered
63 Posts
those two helmets are the ISH... seriously... sooo badass... do they have any with anime angels, fallen or not, sporting some green?? i was about to say green trim, but then i thought if she's got green trim, i prolly don't want her anywhere near me...

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I found one that I really like and it is supposed to be a round type shell. Craft Helmets R2 Aerospeed star racing. Meets all US and European safety requirements and received exceptional reviews. Available in the US for $3 benjamins......swwwweeeeettttttt!:crazyloco :mfclap :rofl :smile

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I don't think they have green, but if I recall that sticker on the boobs is removable to be "R" rated....

·
Registered
34 Posts
I have the Icon Domain Decay helmet and I love it as far as comfort and features go. It's got the piece that goes under your chin to keep you warm during the colder weather and the anti for piece that goes over your nose works like a champ. By far the best helmet I've ever owned....

]

·
Registered
532 Posts
I am a converted SHARK fan. Used to have an AGV Airtech, but the SHARK is much more comfortable, aerodynamically stable, quieter and the price is reasonable!

I must admit that I have never tried a SHOEI or ARAI or NOLAN or ICON, but am happy with my SHARK.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Shoei RF1000 TC-5 Duhamel with a dark smoke shield (I also had a Spectra gold shield, but it got scratched up, looked really slick though, but the dark smoke is much darker which is better for me):

Some time next year unless another wonderful helmet comes around I'll be picking up an Arai RX7 Corsair as that's the only really high end helmet I've found that fits me well (other than my RF1000 but it's still 2nd tier). Though i've yet to find a place that actually stocks the Shark RSR in my size. I ran across a Medium in Tucson and it was by far the lightest helmet I'd ever seen (but I need an L or an XL, probably an XL as the M was reaaaaally small).

·
Registered
275 Posts
they have the icon decay on ebay for $235 plus $15 S&H im really considering just getting it. Its just tough because i cant try it on and no one sells icons around where I live. My HJC is a Large so I would guess I would want a Large Icon but the dont always run the same sizes

1 - 20 of 42 Posts