Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So this is my first bike and I was looking for a place to hang my helmet when carrying it with me just isn't an option. I've seen most other street bikes have either a hook under the passenger seat or somewhere else to hook and/or lock it up. Is there anything like that on the 96 zx 9r? I could fab something similar if I need to if there is something there our even a part that I can buy that would be easier.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I have a 2000 (E1) and there are two right angle hooks under my rear seat, just pop off the seat, slide the metal helmet loops over them and then lock down the rear seat. I dont know about your year specific though.. :crazyloco

·
Premium Member
8,388 Posts
yeah that sounds bout the way to do it. i had the same issue when i first got mine and almost dropped my helmet on the blacktop

·
Registered
3,881 Posts
There are hooks somewhere.
I dunno, i took mine off.
I've had good luck strapping the chin strap around the mirror stay and setting the helmet off to the side if i ever leave it with the bike.

·
Registered
188 Posts
You know... Ive never looked for one on my 03 till you brought it up. I had someone cut the strap off a 3 day old shoie a few years back so now I always carry mine with me. Id care not to shell out atleast $300 for a replacement helmet

·
Premium Member
3,675 Posts
I have the hooks as well but I always think someone will take it. Cut the strap and put a new one on. I rather carry more when I leave my than risk it. I never knew what the hooks were for till now.

ZX9R next best thing to Sex.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I understand the fear of having it stolen but i only want to use it at the times when that is not a real problem. I live in a semi rural area so my biggest problem would be some stupid kid walking off with it just cause he could. No hardened criminal cutting the strap off my cheap HJC helmet at the grocery store or the local bank. Definitely not leaving my arai hanging on the bike ANYWHERE. There are just times when it is not convenient or realistic to carry it with me.

·
Premium Member
13,120 Posts
(Ahem) Better motorcycles have helmet locks.:rolleyes

·
Registered
1 Posts
So this is my first bike and I was looking for a place to hang my helmet when carrying it with me just isn't an option. I've seen most other street bikes have either a hook under the passenger seat or somewhere else to hook and/or lock it up. Is there anything like that on the 96 zx 9r? I could fab something similar if I need to if there is something there our even a part that I can buy that would be easier.

I thought I'd chime in here as I know something that can help solve this.
There is something called The Helmet Hook. (Not sure if I can post links here considering it's my first post but if you search for the whole thing on google, you'll find the site.

Anyway, I've seen this in many forums and there are two long threads on it on the ADVRider forum and Stromtrooper forum.

So, what it is, is a hook that you put at the end of your handlebar. I want to chime in because lots of people that comment on it (and it is always people that have never tried one) insist on pointing out how this is not theft proof. Well, no kidding, nothing is. This was only meant as a quick way/place to hang your helmet. You CAN lock it with a padlock if you should want to but that was not the original idea (see the site info).

If you have a built in lock, you still have to unlock it and so on and yes, it can be stolen. This has the advantage of always being there and the furthest away from the bike. Unlike some locks that are right next to exhaust pipes and so on. Who the hell thought that was a good idea.

Again, not sure if I can post a link but look for Phil480 on youtube, go to his page and look for the helmet hook review where he shows the location of the helmet LOCK on his bike. Right next to the damn exhaust.

Anyone that has bar weights or handguards can use it. Just be advised that for those of you who have short handlebars, the helmet could wind up touching the fairing so be careful.

Still much better than it sitting close to the engine or exhaust.

Later guys

George

·
Registered
340 Posts
I use a bicycle cable lock through my helmet to the rear foot per bracket. Helmet is locked to bike and needs more than a knife to steal.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts