Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
:tard I have a poblem and hoped someone here can help with. I have a 98 zx7r. the only way to keep the engine running is to run leads from the fuel pump to the battery. While the bike is hooked up this way I took a test light to verify that the main harness side of the fuel pump connector is getting power. It is. I jus don't understand why it won't run when pluged into the harness. I have done the standerds prior to doing this. I hooked up leads to the battery and primed the fuel pump (i hear the clicks slow down). Plug the FP back to the main harness. Then I start the bike. It runs for 3 to 5 mins then dies. Replaced the FP relay with new oem part. Replaced the fuel filter (better to be safe than sorry) Disconnected the fuel supply to the carbs to verify feul is getting there. I'm just not sure where to look next. Any ideas?? Thanks

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Really!!

There is not one single person on here that can help me? Really?! I've read some pretty interesting problems on here and a lot of people on here have given some great ideas on what to look for and try. So what gives. No one has had or heard of this before?? I really need help with this!:headscratch

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
You have verified you have power at the fuel pump connector while the bike is running? The fuel pump is powered full time during crank and then is pulse fed from the ignition coil during Run.

Josh

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Thanks

yes. I have verified power but not voltage. I haven't been able to find my meter. After I prime the FP and plug the harness in is where my problem lies. As the bike is running, I watched the fuel filter and noticed no fuel was being pulled in from the FP like it was when the FP was wired directly to the battery. So it dies like it's out of gas.
This prob doesn't matter but I thought i'd mention it anyways. I installed a intragated tail light the night before the problem started.

·
Premium Member
4,271 Posts
check he simple stuff first .... fuses, kinked fuel lines, fuel tank vent..... fuel in tank
just work your way down to the pump and be sure there is nothing wrong before it

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
Interesting...

If the relay, fuses and pump are checking out. Next is to verify if the pump harness connector is getting a voltage pulse while the engine is running. If not, you'll have to trace the harness back to the relay and then to the 1/4 coil for integrity.

Josh

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Interesting...

If the relay, fuses and pump are checking out. Next is to verify if the pump harness connector is getting a voltage pulse while the engine is running. If not, you'll have to trace the harness back to the relay and then to the 1/4 coil for integrity.

Josh
I did notice while the bike was running, the test light that I had in the harness side of the FP connector was light but didnt pulse.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
check he simple stuff first .... fuses, kinked fuel lines, fuel tank vent..... fuel in tank
just work your way down to the pump and be sure there is nothing wrong before it
Thanks. I did check those. I'm leaning towards a electrical problem. I have read here that they have a lot of them.:banghead

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
Interesting your test light is showing voltage while the bike is running, but won't power the fuel pump...

And yes the wiring on these bike is archaic and ghetto...

Josh

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Interesting your test light is showing voltage while the bike is running, but won't power the fuel pump...

And yes the wiring on these bike is archaic and ghetto...

Josh
I know. It's driving me nuts and my wife is about to kill me, loltomorrow when I get home from work i'll make a short vid clip of the way I have it hooked up so I know we're on the same page.
Can I post a vid on here or will I have to post on you tube and post a link here?

·
Premium Member
11,231 Posts
Needs more voltage then. Too low of a voltage and nothing on these bikes works.

Check every last ground on the harness, clean it off, clean the connection point down to bare metal (if its a frame ground) and use some good electrical grease.

That helps things out big time, but still doesn't solve the shitty harness.

·
Premium Member
11,231 Posts
I did notice while the bike was running, the test light that I had in the harness side of the FP connector was light but didnt pulse.
It won't pulse, the pump gets constant power and shuts off on its own because it cant push more than 2-3 PSI.

·
Premium Member
4,271 Posts

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
It won't pulse, the pump gets constant power and shuts off on its own because it cant push more than 2-3 PSI.
The pump and relay recieve the 1/4 coil pulse while the engine is running...

During crank the 1/4 coil pulse is bypassed and supplied straight battery voltage.

Josh

·
Registered
517 Posts
Had a similar problem on my '94 ZX11. I would be riding happily down the road and then nothing. I checked out my fuel system, (over & over) then decided it must be electrical. We'll just skip what I spent on electrical parts. I discovered my fuel pump was not running reliably. The dealership wanted a small fortune for a new fuel pump. I went to O'Reilly's, bought their low pressure Bestest pump and problem solved, for me anyway.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The pump and relay recieve the 1/4 coil pulse while the engine is running...

During crank the 1/4 coil pulse is bypassed and supplied straight battery voltage.

Josh
after the bike dies and I try to restart, it wont. but after I prime the pump it starts.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Had a similar problem on my '94 ZX11. I would be riding happily down the road and then nothing. I checked out my fuel system, (over & over) then decided it must be electrical. We'll just skip what I spent on electrical parts. I discovered my fuel pump was not running reliably. The dealership wanted a small fortune for a new fuel pump. I went to O'Reilly's, bought their low pressure Bestest pump and problem solved, for me anyway.
I haven't completely ruled out the fuel pump but I don't want to keep throwing parts at it hoping to fix it.

·
Registered
517 Posts
I wired the pump directly to the battery on a toggle switch with an in-line fuse. Kawasaki wanted over $200 for a fuel pump, less than $60 for the O'Reilly pump.

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
after the bike dies and I try to restart, it wont. but after I prime the pump it starts.
Start checking the connectors for corrosion or chafed wires, especially around the relay.

Josh

1 - 20 of 40 Posts