Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I'm new here and I have been looking very hard at the 1400, I live in Florida where it is very hot, my question is do you guys have a problem with leg heat like the FJR had before 06? I really want to get into long distance touring and I also want to take the bike to work as much as I can. I just dont want to get it if I'm going to be dying from the heat. I saw there are a couple of guys from Florida and some other hot states. Please let me know as I am wanting to get one as soon as possible. Thank David

·
Registered
41 Posts
The heat issue really is an issue of personal feelings ( and a couple of bikes the apparently didn't have the insulating foam installed properly from the factory). I have had mine now for a month and I live in central Florida, Daytona area, so I know about the temps. The first day I picked up the bike, I sat in 1.5 hours of traffic on the way home and the temp guage went all the way to the top of the range. The fan almost never turned off and I was baking because of all the gear I was wearing and the heat coming from the bike. That being said, I have never experienced the temp guage going more than one bar above half since then and even that evening, I didn't feel any more heat on my legs than I would have on the 2005 12R that I traded in for the C14. After riding for a long time and the frame has had a chance to get heated from the motor, you can feel some warmth around your upper thighs, but in my opinion, nothing unbearable and not even uncomfortable. I wear regular jeans and black work boots when I ride and have never had to hold my legs out to cool off or anything like that. Once again, I think it's a matter of personal perception. I let my friend ride my C14 last Sunday and he had it all day. I asked him about it and he said he could feel the heat around his thighs and he didn't like it. He also rides a Busa that's lowered with an extended swingarm with no rear shock and he likes that, so again, it's a matter of personal preference and perception.

·
Registered
451 Posts
And I live in England so it's great to have some warmth around my legs especially in the colder months.
It really is only noticable when the temp gets up and the fans come on, which does seem to be quite regularly when you are in traffic. From other threads I gather that it gets better as you pile on the mleage and the engine loosens up.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks for the info, hey motorman2406 I live about 1 hour west of daytona in lake county, where did you get your bike and also do you think kawasaki will have the bike for testing at biketoberfest coming up?

·
Registered
41 Posts
I got my bike at Cycle Sports Center in Orlando and I highly DON'T recommend them! They flat suck in customer service. If you wish drop me a private message with your phone number and I will elaborate. As far as Biketoberfest, I do think they will have some there for demo rides, now that they have actually been released. If not, you and I can hook up and you can demo mine. It's completely stock (duh) with just over 1000 miles on it, for now.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I Had An 03,05 And 06 Fjr And The Heat Off The 03 And 05 Was Bad, The 06 Was A Major Improvement. The Concours Throws Heat Worse Than The Two Early Fjr,s........... "but Then Thats Only Ny Opinion"

·
Registered
40 Posts
If you have heat problems you must remove the middle farings and make sure the foam completely seals. One tiny leak and the thing will blow hot air and heat the plastic.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I noticed the heat when I first bought mine in early Aug 07. Now that I've done around 3500 miles, I don't seem to notice it too much. Perhaps my skin has thickened!!!! I was aware that the bottom end of the fuel tank was quite hot where my inner thighs are.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts