Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So after washing my 2001 zx9r today my headlights wont turn on...keep in mind that everything else is still working (tail lights, blinders, even the little light in the front middle) all WORK, except my two headlights..now i've checked all the fuses and the bulbes everything is good. I even played around with the wires to see if there was and short, and nothing. If anyone has any idea as to what the problem could be please let me know..

·
Registered
99 Posts
did u check the two hidden fuses that are also under the seat? they are in close proximity to the main fuse block but are covered by black cover... hope this helps

·
Registered
135 Posts
mine wouldnt work after it rained....i tried alot with no workie so then punched the switch and presto, lights came on

·
Registered
235 Posts
lol showing a little tlc there huh

i would definitely check the relays, they are square black over sized fuses if you dont know what they are. then make sure your switch didnt get damaged. I have had it happen to me before. I took my bike to a manual car wash and my headlight stopped working. So within the few days that it took me to realize that my r/c was out and one of my relays, the brass/copper contacts within the switch corroded.

good luck bro and hope you find it.

·
Registered
135 Posts
lol showing a little tlc there huh

i would definitely check the relays, they are square black over sized fuses if you dont know what they are. then make sure your switch didnt get damaged. I have had it happen to me before. I took my bike to a manual car wash and my headlight stopped working. So within the few days that it took me to realize that my r/c was out and one of my relays, the brass/copper contacts within the switch corroded.

good luck bro and hope you find it.
if punching electrical items works with aircraft, it better work on a bike haha

i wish that there was a better way to water proof the electronics.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Lol true true. You can, I use to use cork gasket sets to protect my electronics on the outside if my cars. You can get the gaskets at the parts store, or you can order them online in blank sheets to make your own. Then cut it to fit just the hole, switch, whatever your trying to do. And it'll help draw out moisture and catch it. I think I may have to try to find sone of my how to's of mine from the past and post it up.

·
Registered
120 Posts
curious if ya got it fixed, cause mine has the same problem,only thing i havent checked are the 2 relays up front

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
been a little busy, but tomorrow morning i will check the relays, i check the fuses already and their all good. so tomorrow we check the relays (hope to god thats the problem) if its not that i think im gonna try to replace the switch..:eek:hno

·
Registered
43 Posts
I had something like this happen to Me ,lights would work then I would ride down the road then they would stop then come back on ,Not sure if same thing ,Then they just stopped working at all , The fuse box has a relay in it for head lights ,Its welded in it , These ZX9R have it go bad alot ,you can get another fuse box , Or I've seen it be replaced , Maybe start bike then check head light wire with test light ,Also maybe jump the relay in the fuse box ,I replaced my fuse box my head lights work great now

·
Registered
1 Posts
Wonder how you fixed it, my headlights went out last night while driving down the road at 9:30 at night. I get do indication of hi beams on my Guage cluster, the fuse box fuses are all good, no power through the harness to either headlight just to that 3rd tiny one

1 - 15 of 15 Posts