Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all. me again, im having a headlight issue. as i just learned very recently there is a relay that doesnt send power to the headlight unless the bike has been started. well i got my bike started, and ive had a few harness issues, but still my bike isnt sending power to the headlights period. one pin of the headlight plug has power constantly regardless of the high or low switch postition. i do have another clip on with a spare head light switch i may be testing and installing.

my real question is my manual (kawi shop manual for 96) only shows the relay in the wiring diagram in the same box as the fuse block. is this true? what is the relay to the left of the junction block? fuel pump maybe??? if any one can help me out it would be greatly appreciated

·
Premium Member
557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
i always come on here and ask a question before i search each and every page of my manual. i found what i was looking for and how to test it.

·
Premium Member
557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
dont have a solution yet hah i plugged my spare clip on in and still nothing at any of the pins. i still gotta test the relay in the fuse block when i got more time

·
Registered
96 Posts
yea im having the same issue right now

·
Registered
96 Posts
your problem could be the fuel pump relay like mine ...I had a fuel pump issue than starting problem and than led to a headlight issue!!! all because of my relay!
how did u fix it?

·
Registered
17 Posts
first i replaced the fuel pump because it leaked than the second fuel pump electronic left me stranded on the hwy. So bought another one and after ever since having intermittent problems starting, changed the battery because it was also weak thought it was that the problem!! After a few rides got even worse and would not even start only ''tick '' sound so i decided to bypass to test the fuel pump because i heard through this forum that a tick sound is related to the fuel pump relay. I now have bypassed the fuel pump with a toggle switch and a fuse and it works just fine and when you unplug the fuel relay your headlights dont work until you plug it back in.Than you can take it back off again and the lights stay on!!! Any way i hope this could help some of you out there. Good riding!! CHOW

·
Premium Member
557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
first i replaced the fuel pump because it leaked than the second fuel pump electronic left me stranded on the hwy. So bought another one and after ever since having intermittent problems starting, changed the battery because it was also weak thought it was that the problem!! After a few rides got even worse and would not even start only ''tick '' sound so i decided to bypass to test the fuel pump because i heard through this forum that a tick sound is related to the fuel pump relay. I now have bypassed the fuel pump with a toggle switch and a fuse and it works just fine and when you unplug the fuel relay your headlights dont work until you plug it back in.Than you can take it back off again and the lights stay on!!! Any way i hope this could help some of you out there. Good riding!! CHOW
you know now that you mention it. i had the bike runnin 2 days ago chasin wires down and i heard a mysterious tick from that general area. i shut it off to make sure it had oil in it and then started it back up again and it hasnt ticked like that since. strange. Oh and p.s. my bike hasnt been on the road since last june.

·
Registered
17 Posts
you know now that you mention it. i had the bike runnin 2 days ago chasin wires down and i heard a mysterious tick from that general area. i shut it off to make sure it had oil in it and then started it back up again and it hasnt ticked like that since. strange. Oh and p.s. my bike hasnt been on the road since last june.
Well that tick comes from the junction box first of all but if you are stranded and all you hear is tick ...take of the fuel pump relay and start it and than put it back on ! :crazyloco

·
Registered
3 Posts
What up. Yes the headlight relay is inside the junction/"junk" box on the 96-03 model. there's two in there make sure you test the right one
What do you mean when you say the relay is inside the junction box, I took the junction box off and the back cover off and all I saw was a motherboard is it a solid-state relay or something?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts