Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner

21 - 40 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
I have an 07 just like you. I ride the same area as well. I have never had headshake out of no where. Suggestions for heavier bar-ends or a steering stabilizer are bogus. Those are just band-aids on the problems. I would be will to put money on the front tire being shot, or the steering stem either loose or worn head stock bearings.

I have 21000 miles on my machine. I ran the first year without tuned suspension and no stabilizer. I could let go of the bars, and move forward or backward without any issues what so ever!
If you never had the problem before, then its obviously a faulty part issue.
Do you adjust your chain on your own? Is the axle alignment correct?

I am as fimiliar with the 07zx6r as you can get. If you need help, let me know. Also, hit up blackman's cycles in emmaus for great prices on sets of pirelli diablo tires. I bought the last michelin PP2ct set they had on sale. I paid 210. The pirelli tires were 180 a set.
_jon
yeah, ive never had it before. Im really hoping its just the tire, it was perfectly fine all day riding, then at the end of the run it started to shake when no weight was on. Yeah I adjust the chain, and as far as I can tell the axle is set straight.

..damn you! lol I was going to get a Set, im still going to see if they have any instock. If not ill grab the diablos, I hope theres a set for me :( Im calling them tomorrow to set up a date.

·
Premium Member
4,271 Posts
Suggestions for heavier bar-ends or a steering stabilizer are bogus. Those are just band-aids on the problems.
_jon
Well the GP crowd must have it all wrong then:headscratch

·
Registered
126 Posts
While i agree the tire is most likely at fault here, i also can tell you for a FACT my bike got head shake because of road surface. I ordered a dampner the next day..... not a single head shake since that bad boy went on. THE BEST mod on my bike. Thats my advice, take it or leave it. Cant put a price on safety...

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
While i agree the tire is most likely at fault here, i also can tell you for a FACT my bike got head shake because of road surface. I ordered a dampner the next day..... not a single head shake since that bad boy went on. THE BEST mod on my bike. Thats my advice, take it or leave it. Cant put a price on safety...
Yes, the dampner most likely put a bandaid on the situation you had. If you spent the time to completely tuned your suspension the correct way, you most likely would not need a steering stabilizer. Also, cupping of the front tire can help create unstable front end.

I did one trackday with my bike before I got a stabilizer, and did just fine. Any track day should be most aggressive riding than street. So me and 10 other guys without a dampner finished a track day. Any normal street rider should be fine!

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
Well the GP crowd must have it all wrong then:headscratch
Not quite sure what your getting at except you think your right and I am wrong. Which is fine. Although, I do track days. So I run harder than a street rider, most likely. I completed one track day without a dampner or heavy bar end weights. I made it out alive without and massive shaking issues. I suggest you hit the track up, you'll find quite a few guys may laugh at the fact you think bar-end weights solve shaking issues.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Nightmare, i didnt bandaid anything. My bike was 100% fine. New tires and all, simply got headshake once going over a large bump on a highway at a moderate lean into a turn. I didnt like the feeling so i got a damper. Since then i rode over that same bump MANY times without a hint of head shake. (The bump goes all the way across the highway, unavoidable) so in short the dampner made my bike feel way more composed and stable on the street. Is it needed? Probably not. Would i choose to ride without one if i had a choice? HELL NO!

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
Nightmare, i didnt bandaid anything. My bike was 100% fine. New tires and all, simply got headshake once going over a large bump on a highway at a moderate lean into a turn. I didnt like the feeling so i got a damper. Since then i rode over that same bump MANY times without a hint of head shake. (The bump goes all the way across the highway, unavoidable) so in short the dampner made my bike feel way more composed and stable on the street. Is it needed? Probably not. Would i choose to ride without one if i had a choice? HELL NO!

I not trying to argue, but yes you did bandaid your bump situation. That shimmy you feel is from unevenly tuned suspension. If the front is stiffer than the rear, you'll get a shaky reaction to a bump. As well as vise versa. All i was trying to say is PROPERLY tuned suspension, will most likely fix and riding issue for a common street rider. That is all I meant to get across.

There is 3 different setting for a shock. So You can imagine all the fine tuning that can be done in order to perfect your bikes handling and capability.

·
Premium Member
4,271 Posts
Not quite sure what your getting at except you think your right and I am wrong. Which is fine. Although, I do track days. So I run harder than a street rider, most likely. I completed one track day without a dampner or heavy bar end weights. I made it out alive without and massive shaking issues. I suggest you hit the track up, you'll find quite a few guys may laugh at the fact you think bar-end weights solve shaking issues.
no dude I'm not saying I'm right and your wrong..... not at all ..... I totaly agree with what you are saying ie adjusting suspension erases head shakes... but by the same token a over inflated tyre is able to give head shakes, what I'm saying is, sometimes the shocks may not be at fault.

I suggest you hit the track up, you'll find quite a few guys may laugh at the fact you think bar-end weights solve shaking issues.
I dont think they will solve inherent problems on a bike..... to my understanding, they will slow down ossilations (sp)

All I'm pointing out to the OP is there may be other things that can help and that there may be other factors involved.
Lowered forks are just one sutch thing.

btw I've seen more tank slappers on the track (yes I know they are pushing harder on a smoother surface) then on the street and they are running all the high performance gear... sooo

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
WELLL. lol Nightmare took the last pair of PP 2cts (bastard... lol) so I went with the diablos, cant complain got both of them for 201 out the door. They go on this friday, at the very least Ill have brand new tires that I can be confident on.

·
Premium Member
4,271 Posts
nice... when do you get to scrub them in

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
You live 20 minutes away mowhawk. I got everything you need to tune your suspension. This is still completely worth doing even if the new tires fix your issue. Let me know.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
nice... when do you get to scrub them in
Hopefully on friday right afte theyre put on. Its supposed to be decent out

Nightmare: Yeah, Hammer is close to me also, were trying to work out a date to set up my suspension. I really wanna learn how to do it.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
FIXED! The new tires did it. Btw, these things are amazing. Theyre like glue to the road. The bike just feels so much better, lol its amazing what tires can do.

Now i just need my suspension set up and im set for track days.

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
I'll track with ya. All my buddies are either to big of pussies, or have bikes to actract pussy.... HAHAHA.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
I'll track with ya. All my buddies are either to big of pussies, or have bikes to actract pussy.... HAHAHA.
lol. I gotta find a club around here to join or something. I really wanna start getting serious about racing with this. Its crack!

Plus, i love draggin knee and i wanna do it safely (well kinda...) on the track

·
Registered
394 Posts
lol. I gotta find a club around here to join or something. I really wanna start getting serious about racing with this. Its crack!

Plus, i love draggin knee and i wanna do it safely (well kinda...) on the track
Team promotion is out of Horsham,PA I'm doing Pocono with them on 4/30 there's also NESBA

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
Team promotion is out of Horsham,PA I'm doing Pocono with them on 4/30 there's also NESBA
What do you think? Full throttle membership?

·
Registered
394 Posts
What do you think? Full throttle membership?
I did silver, been 20+ yrs since I raced WERA, just want to see if I still got it:rofl

·
Registered
10 Posts
Same prob! :(

hey guys! I just got my 08 zx6 used a few days ago... I am getting head shake pretty bad at about 40-55ish mph... even on turns... there isn't any time during that mph range that it doesn't shake. I just put new pp 2cts on with dyna beads... we measured the axle bolt with the swingarm... we checked the steering stem and we checked the suspension settings, although they were a little stiff for me. Anyways... we are kinda baffled. :( me and my hubbys swapped bikes today (he has an 08 cbr 600) and his is so so so smoother, I know mine doesn't have the steering damper, but it still feels like I'm riding on a rocky road. Any other suggestions would be awesome and thanks so much!! :)
God bless,
Heather :)

·
Registered
394 Posts
Check the front rim for true and the wheel bearings

21 - 40 of 43 Posts