Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Already did a search and learned a few reasons but I still would like to hear your thoughts.

Situation: Went for a ride yesterday since it was so nice. I was out all day ( more than 6 hours straight) with no issues. On my way back home I realized my glove was loose, so I quickly adjusted it while riding. So for a few seconds I was riding no hands a lil over 50 mph. Out of no where I got head shake, slight at first but it gets progressivly worse ( really scary).

Any ideas of why this started happening all of a sudden? Bike was fine all day and it goes away as soon as i grip the bars, light grip at that.

Suspension is not set up yet, so the rebound and such should be fine. The front is old, but it has good tread on it. Its been sittng for most of the winter, but I have rotated it regularly.

Ideas? Again the shake seemd to just come out of no-where and it does not happen below 40 mph, and only on decel.

·
Registered
10,836 Posts
It may have been the road. Did you do a full inspection of the tire? Cupping, odd wear?
Check the head stem bolt on the top of the triple tree and I would also check the front axle bolts.

·
Registered
278 Posts
it aint no bicycle, keep both hands on the handles. I got a shake at around when i took my hands off.. Figured a rock or something could make it wobble, or the slightest bump. my guess is that nothing is wrong.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It may have been the road. Did you do a full inspection of the tire? Cupping, odd wear?
Check the head stem bolt on the top of the triple tree and I would also check the front axle bolts.
No I havent checked it yet. I dont think it was the road though, it happened on a few different surfaces.

But I'll do the checks when i do my oil tomorrow.

·
Registered
10,836 Posts
You should do a walk/ inspection of your bike before every ride and when you return home.
Find it early and it will cost less. Be sure to check the chain 20mm of play from center.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I always do the pre ride inspection. Everything was in specs. I guess ill start doing post ride also. My tires are at 36f 38 r, so theyre not too low. I was thinking it was maybe that but..nope

·
Premium Member
4,271 Posts
have your front forks been lowerd in the trees??

·
Registered
143 Posts
its always been a bump that does it for me. any slight bump in the road or something that jars the front of the bike

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
i got me a scotts steering dampener and cured that. however like stated before check the bolts that clamp the triple tree to the forks, the front axle to the forks, steering head bolt, & rear wheel alignment

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
have your front forks been lowerd in the trees??
Nope all stock.

I hope all this stuff is in the service man. Im pretty new to bikes, but ive been working on cars and engines for years. This sounds very simple but, its the names that im new too. I know what the forks and such are but, its placement, I'll def be checking tomorrow. I plan on riding again in the afternoon.

·
Premium Member
4,271 Posts
when you released the bars did you sit upright??

if so, you have moved your centre of gravity and the front will become lighter.. a light front end is more prone to head shake... 50mph is a fair bit of wind pushing you, this would allso account for the light front end.
Go pop a mono ... just before the front tire leaves the road there is a little head shake.
put some bar end weights on and see if that helps

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
when you released the bars did you sit upright??

if so, you have moved your centre of gravity and the front will become lighter.. a light front end is more prone to head shake... 50mph is a fair bit of wind pushing you, this would allso account for the light front end.
Go pop a mono ... just before the front tire leaves the road there is a little head shake.
put some bar end weights on and see if that helps
Yeah, i did sit up everytime . By mono, do you mean clutch it up? So your saying to clutch it up and put a little weight on the bars right?

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Checked all of the bolts on the beast. Theyre all in spec, and tight. So, idk. I do need a new front tire as its never been changed and been sitting for awhile. Prolly going to get some PP2s later this week.

Everything on the bike is in good shape. SO I'm lost. I cant go for a test ride, its freezing here now.

·
Registered
394 Posts
90% of the time when the front end feels funky, it's because of the tire, when you Mount them new PP2's up, try 34psi in the front and 40psi in the rear and see how that feels. and we still need to set your suspension up

·
Registered
458 Posts
Just chiming in that it is in all probability your front tire. You'd be surprised at how a small wear spot or egg (and I mean, really small...like a little ridge that you would never notice unless someone pointed it out to you) will cause the head to shake. Start off with getting a new front tire. If it doesn't solve the problem (and I almost guarantee it will solve it), then post here so you can get idea of other issues into which you should start looking.

Oh yeah...I thought it was the road too until I started taking my hands off on all kinds of different road surfaces.

·
Premium Member
4,271 Posts
Yeah, i did sit up everytime . By mono, do you mean clutch it up? So your saying to clutch it up and put a little weight on the bars right?
mono > power wheely, if you give it gass and the front starts to lift, there is a slight shake just before the front leaves the ground (BTW im not saying go do this) and bar end weights are just that ... they go on the end of your clipons, look normal or bling and are slightly heavy.... helps to minimise head shake.

do the above if the new tyre doesnt fix it.

Otherwise spent $$ and get a stering stabiliser

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
90% of the time when the front end feels funky, it's because of the tire, when you Mount them new PP2's up, try 34psi in the front and 40psi in the rear and see how that feels. and we still need to set your suspension up
Yeah man, im trying to find a time when ill be home and itll be warm out.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
mono > power wheely, if you give it gass and the front starts to lift, there is a slight shake just before the front leaves the ground (BTW im not saying go do this) and bar end weights are just that ... they go on the end of your clipons, look normal or bling and are slightly heavy.... helps to minimise head shake.

do the above if the new tyre doesnt fix it.

Otherwise spent $$ and get a stering stabiliser
Thats pretty sweet. I plan on getting a new tires by friday, hopfully itll get warm so i can really test it .

Thanks guys!

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
I have an 07 just like you. I ride the same area as well. I have never had headshake out of no where. Suggestions for heavier bar-ends or a steering stabilizer are bogus. Those are just band-aids on the problems. I would be will to put money on the front tire being shot, or the steering stem either loose or worn head stock bearings.

I have 21000 miles on my machine. I ran the first year without tuned suspension and no stabilizer. I could let go of the bars, and move forward or backward without any issues what so ever!
If you never had the problem before, then its obviously a faulty part issue.
Do you adjust your chain on your own? Is the axle alignment correct?

I am as fimiliar with the 07zx6r as you can get. If you need help, let me know. Also, hit up blackman's cycles in emmaus for great prices on sets of pirelli diablo tires. I bought the last michelin PP2ct set they had on sale. I paid 210. The pirelli tires were 180 a set.
_jon

1 - 20 of 43 Posts