Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On my long motorcycle trip last summer to Chicago, there were some times I came very close to running out of gas through the Rocky Mountain stretch in Colorado. Gas stations are spread out thin, and some close early as you get into the evening hours.

freezincold from the forums came up with the solution to take an empty quart of oil bottle, clean it out good, fill it with fuel, and carry it with you on the bike. That one quart of fuel is in a good packaging, and can be there just in case the worst happens.

That said, if you carry fuel in a plastic container that once was used for oil, are there any dangers or risk of an explosion?

Anyone ever carried any fuel on long trips? How did you do it?

Inquiring minds want to know...

·
Registered
582 Posts
Plastic oil bottle should be ok as long as there's no static problem. I have a minature 5 litre steel "Jerrie Can" which I bought specifically to extend range on a trip if necessary.

gammac

·
Registered
449 Posts
In the 80's I used to do that same thing for my RM 80, I used to dig through the garbage and pull out the m/t jug of oil,fill it with fuel and put it in my inside pocket(jean jacket) and go riding. My mom always wondered why my clothes sniffed like gas? Please don't put your reserve jug in pockets folks~

·
Registered
683 Posts
Last summer I saw an HD guy fill his saddle bags with ice and budweiser. Does that count?
T

1 - 4 of 4 Posts