Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got my eye on a frame for a D and a motor in Germany...wondering how well the motor would slip in. Figure the block and heads are the same so the motor mounts should line right up (big ASSumption) but its the carbs/airbox - gas tank clearance I worry about.

Anyone done this?

Z

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
ZX-12R engine will not fit. Well, you can if you measure your wallet's thickness with a measuring tape instead of with a vernier but not recommended anyway...

ZZ-R1200 engine is a bolt-on in any ZX-11 frame (C or D). Only "problem" is that the valve cover can't be removed when installed into a ZX11D frame. The engine need to be tilted by removing some of the engine mount bolts to measure/adjust valves clearance. You can use ZX11 carbs. You can either shim your ZX11D fuel tank about 6 mm (if you use ZX11D airbox) or use the top half of ZZR1200 airbox (which is thinner by ~6 mm).
For ignition, you use ZX11 components but I think (not sure) you need to install ZX11 advance timing plate in 1200 engine. That's about all. Let us know!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Wow...that was a complete answer from a man with experience...

Thanks...that was a very well informed answer. Yeah...I meant the ZZR 1200 motor...I didnt think there might be confusion with a 12R motor...sorry bout that.

Z

·
Registered
208 Posts
ZX-12R engine will not fit. Well, you can if you measure your wallet's thickness with a measuring tape instead of with a vernier but not recommended anyway...

ZZ-R1200 engine is a bolt-on in any ZX-11 frame (C or D). Only "problem" is that the valve cover can't be removed when installed into a ZX11D frame. The engine need to be tilted by removing some of the engine mount bolts to measure/adjust valves clearance. You can use ZX11 carbs. You can either shim your ZX11D fuel tank about 6 mm (if you use ZX11D airbox) or use the top half of ZZR1200 airbox (which is thinner by ~6 mm).
For ignition, you use ZX11 components but I think (not sure) you need to install ZX11 advance timing plate in 1200 engine. That's about all. Let us know!
Knowledge IS power. :clap

·
Registered
2 Posts
I WAS TOLD THAT THIS IS NOT A GOOD CHOICE BECAUSE THE CLUTCH SUCK. WAS TOLD THE ZX 14 WENT BACK TO ZX 11 STYLE BECAUSE OF ZX 12 PROBLEMS...:headscratch

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
I WAS TOLD THAT THIS IS NOT A GOOD CHOICE BECAUSE THE CLUTCH SUCK. WAS TOLD THE ZX 14 WENT BACK TO ZX 11 STYLE BECAUSE OF ZX 12 PROBLEMS...:headscratch
You're talking about the ZX-12R. The engine that fits into a ZX-11 comes from ZZ-R1200 and is almost identical to the ZX-11's. ZX-12R engine is a completely different beast and do not fit into ZX-11 frame.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts