Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just curious as to wheather anyone on this forum has at least been able to sit on the concours yet? One of the issues I have with my FJR is the forward tilt of the seat towards the tank. I even have a Rick Mayer seat and that still is an issue for me. I know Rick will adjust it and I have plans to send it back to him but for now I will wait until riding season is over.

It looks to me like mabey the Concours might have a sweet spot in it without the forward tilt.

I can't wait for this thing to come out. I am a Kawasaki lover from way back. I still have a 74 z1 900 that I ride from time to time.

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
I expect the soonest we will be able to sit on one is at the Cycle World International Motorcycle Show that goes across the country. I have been informed there will be a Concours 14 / GTR 1400 at the show.

For us here in the Pacific Northwest, the show is the first few days of December. I'll get to sit on one then and I'll have tons of pics to post up as well!!

·
Registered
67 Posts
vic ray said:
I was thinking that someone that had been to the dealer show might be a member of this forum. I guess I will just have to be patient.
One more month, Vic, and I'll climb on my first 1400GTR at the Milan Bike Show :smile . I couldn't make Cologne's Intermot (it closes tomorrow) but I sure ain't gonna miss Milan's -- I live 3 miles away from the exhibition gounds :lol

Stef

www.gtr1400.eu

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hey Stef,
I will try to be patient. Can't wait to here your report. I've allready drove my wife up the wall. If I get one the 14's It's going to have to do me for a while. I've gone through 4 bikes in the last two years and I think on bike 2 of the 4 I promised her I would keep this one for a long time. Of coarse in dog years thats like 14 isn't it?

·
Registered
1 Posts
yup

at the Speedway during Biketoberfest. Parked on the ground & available to be sat / drooled on & poked at. It attracted a crowd! :clap

Surprisingly comfy (I'm 5-11 175), longish risers, more of a touring than a sport stance. Seat seemed fairly firm, roomy & un-sloped but IMO it takes a long day's ride to figger out butt-worthiness.

The Kawi guys there didn't have any of the details I wanted (fuel cap, weight, $, etc) but said it was pre-production - some details might be diff. The storage thing on the tank was flimsy / tiny / useless. No space under the seat. Insulation around the side fairing ports. Bags are large / sturdy but need the key to open / close. :angry EZ to get on the centerstand...but it's BIG & I'd be surprised if it's listed < 550 dry. Swingarm / driveshaft is by Rube Goldberg - hopefully not supplied by BMW! :nana

Based on my ZX14 ride at Bikeweek :evil and after it gets shaken down in real life, I can see this toy in the garage...eventually. :smile

·
Registered
6 Posts
You'll be disappointed if you want to sit on the bike at the Cycle World shows. It's on a pedestal and they will not let you mount it. Heck, you can hardly touch it!

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
Keith said:
You'll be disappointed if you want to sit on the bike at the Cycle World shows. It's on a pedestal and they will not let you mount it. Heck, you can hardly touch it!
You are right about this. I had to pull some strings to be allowed to sit on it at our upcoming Cycle World show in Seattle. I will report back afterwards for sure.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I was disappointed that they had it "on stage", but I do understand. Regardless of what we "want" to believe, the bike making the rounds is a prototype and may or may not represent what we will be able to purchase next year. No sense in getting everyone excited or disappointed with the seats, posistion, windscreen, gauges, muffler, glove compartment, or anything else as everything is still up for grabs.

I like what I see, I just hope it looks the same when it hits the dealer floor. In my book it's already a home run. I'd hate to see them mess it up by adding or taking away anything.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I was disappointed that they had it "on stage", but I do understand. Regardless of what we "want" to believe, the bike making the rounds is a prototype and may or may not represent what we will be able to purchase next year. No sense in getting everyone excited or disappointed with the seats, posistion, windscreen, gauges, muffler, glove compartment, or anything else as everything is still up for grabs.

I like what I see, I just hope it looks the same when it hits the dealer floor. In my book it's already a home run. I'd hate to see them mess it up by adding or taking away anything.

+ 1

The bikes they showed in Milan are pre-production items. No telling what GTRs will look like when they're eventually released to the dealers.
Hopefully all the wrinkles will have been ironed out without substantially altering the bike.

Stef

PS: the first indication of the bike's weight appeared in Germany's MOTORRAD mag. (270 Kg = 595 lbs). This is just a wild guess, I reckon, and no further explanation was provided. Just for info, the same article puts the FJR at 292 kgs (642 lbs) and the K-GT at 282 kgs (620 lbs). I would not further elaborate on this as I'm sure trying to guess the bike's eventual weight is still a complete shot in the dark.:rolleyes

·
Registered
41 Posts
I got to sit on one for two days in a row at Biketoberfest in Daytona Beach, FL. I love the looks! The riding position feels just right for sport touring. I sat on the back and had my father sit on the front and I had plenty of room in the passenger's seat. Both my dad and I weight about 240 and we are 5'11". Though you do need the key to remove or open the bags, I still think they are a good design. They come off easily and the bike looks good with them on or off. They seem large inside too, I think wide enough to fit a full face helmut. I also think the gas tank glove box is too small and flimsy. I hope they change the design as the idea is good but the execution seems second rate. The rest of the bike seemed well thought out and executed. I really like that rear four link suspenstion over a swingarm. I was able to remove it from the center stand and sit on it. It seems about as heavy as my ZX11 did and it was just as easy to put on the center stand. I really like it and I'm having a hard time trying to decide if I want to get rid of my 12 and get one of those. I can't affort two bikes so it's one or the other. I will reserve my final decision until February when I get to demo one at Bike Week. I'll report back about it at that time.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I had to bribe some one at the kawa stand during motornewz 2006 but we where able to sit on one. My girlfriend and i are both "healthy dutchies" and together we way almost 200 kilo's in the flesh. The sit was nice, pretty active, not so sure about the sadle beacuse on the passenger part there was room between liner and the filling.

Have to ride one for a weekend to make a real good judgement

·
Registered
16 Posts
what do you have against shaft driven bemers

For one the extra oil needed during my trips takes up to much luggage space

In my dreams i see a 1.000 cc vfr but rumour has it the vfr will be disontinued after 2007 so thats a no no.

second the price, every bike is verry expensive in the netherlands but the new K1200gt will set you back more than 20.000 euro's so thats roughly 25.000 us!

i don't like the tank of the 1200s, it plastic and verry strangly formed. a bit square. i really don't like the feel when hugging the tank with my legs.

·
Registered
1 Posts
For one the extra oil needed during my trips takes up to much luggage space

Have been riding over a year, 4000 miles, on my BMW K1200R and have not needed to add oil yet since I changed it at 800 mile first maintenance. This does not seem to be a problem with the K1200 R, S or GT as I cannot find any posts on the BMW forums complaining about needing oil.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Gtr 1400

Hi all , we had our Ulysses AGM here in Australia last week, where the new GTR was on show . It was the only bike here in Australia as a demo . The new GTR is expected for delivery in July 2007 . I have some photo's of it for anyone that wants them . I was lucky enough to sit on it at the show , i think it has better riding position that my ST 1100 Honda , the bars are higher and come back a touch as well . The seat felt firm as i sat in it , instead of sitting on it , think it will be great for long trips . Overall , i will be looking at jumping ship as soon as they arrive here . Holma..

1 - 17 of 17 Posts